How to adjust idle on 65hp 1974 Evinrude?

mparker326

Cadet
First post on here. I recently bought a boat with a 1974 65hp Evinrude. It sometimes dies after I start it and shift out of neutral to go forward. This is after I let it run for a little while with the warm up lever on. If it doesn't die, it runs great. Motor was tuned up before I bought it. Carbs were rebuilt, new plugs, good compression etc. It seems like the idle needs to be just a touch higher. I don't have a manual yet. How do I adjust it? I am attaching photos. One picture has the procedure, but I want to be sure I know what I am doing before mess something up.

LAndrus

Petty Officer 3rd Class
it looks like the cam roller isn't in the correct position, but I could be wrong.
Recently rebuilt a 73 Johnson 65 horse. I'm having a similar issue. see my post.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The decal says it clearly. The lower screw in the first picture is the idle speed adjustment. With cable removed, pull the lever back against the lower screw and adjust the screw as required to maintain desired idle speed. Then reattach the cable, adjusting the black plastic trunnion nut if necessary to fit. Always adjust the motor without the cable first, then adjust the cable to fit the motor.