94 115 evinrude hard to start

1bigchevy

Cadet
This is my first time posting on here.
I have a 94 115 evinrude that is hard to get started. To give a little history on this engine, Last year I had a leaky carburetor and a fellow rebuilt them, But somehow he got my timing out of adjustment. So I re timed it at 28 degrees. Now I am having trouble getting this motor started up If I leave the motor level it is a little easier than if it is tilted down. The longer it sets the harder it is to crank in the water. I has to push in the choke to even get it to fire. any help on this would be great. Thanks

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think you answered your own question.

The carb repair was not done right. No fuel=hard start.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The factory describes a "sync and link" procedure in their factory service manuals. It adjusts the relationship between the carb opening and the spark advance.

1bigchevy

Cadet
I think I got that right by what the book said? I synced the carbs by loosing the bottom flange and taking out the slack and tightened that back. then I located the roller close but not touching the throttle cam and tighten that. then I took it to the lake and run it at wot and used a timing light to bring it up to 28 degrees btdc. was this correct. but I am not sure about the floats my book said to bring the leading edge level with the gasket. this don't make it level it brings the loose end up about a heavy 1/16" or so.I thought it was flooding ? but I have to push in my choke to crank it. does that mean it is not enough fuel ? do I need to bring the floats down to level position ?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you are working by the book on the carb adjustments. If the floats are going uphill, there will be less fuel in the carb bowls. It's usual to choke the engine the first time it's started each day. Maybe if it cooled off during the day too.

Last edited:

1bigchevy

Cadet
Thanks for the help. I looked at my floats and they were not level. So I adjusted them level and I realized the tab on the back of the float is used to set the 1" drop. I hope this works. I was having to choke it after waiting for my son to get ready to knee board.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
It is unusual to have to choke the engine to start after it was just running.

1bigchevy

Cadet
I know that is what is stumping me. The boat run and cranked up good until I seen a small leak in the top carb. last year that is when a buddy took them off and put a kit in them. It turned out it was only the primer hose coming from the electric choke but he went ahead and installed the kit since he had already took them off. I realized he didn't know as much about working on them as I thought ( he worked at a dealership) he moved moved my timing and had my throttle timing away from the roller about a inch.So I bought a book and synced the carbs. set the roller as close as I could but still could roll it with the emboss mark in center. took it to the lake and set the timing at wide open throttle on plane to 28 degrees. it run better but hard to get started sometimes. so last night I took the carbs back off and the top carb. float was about 1/8" out of level going up hill and the drop on the bottom carb. only had a drop of 5/8" so I set it to 1" and leveled both of them the best I could do by eye. I will take it to the lake and try it out this weekend and try it out. would the floats being out of tune cause this ? I am ordering some new wires today I know the ones that is on there is at least three years old. I will take it to the lake this week end and try it out.I don't know anything else to do.if this don't work.