1997 Johnson 60 3 cyl Ignition

Dukemeister

Cadet
Problem is no spark, have been through the CDI troubleshoot with a high quality digital peak reading voltmeter.
Stator test, brown to brown/yellow shows 0 ohms and 0 Volts, so dead.
Orange to onange/black showed 350 ohms, and produced 230 V dc peak.
Timer base all showed 2.2-2.5 M ohms, and made 4V dc peak.
No spark on any cylinder, except when I pulled the plugs, I did get a spark during cranking with the rectifier/regulator disconnected - but only once. Then it disappeared and again there is no spark.

I don't want to randomly replace parts. The stator seems dead, but what about the rectifier/regulator... any way to test at this stage?

Davee3

Seaman Apprentice
1992 3 cyl 60 also - Erratic loss of ignition (wet plug) in Cyl 1 & no response to plugging carb throat Coils check as all the same ohms. Switched coils & still no spark Cyl1 So I expect it is the powerpak Is it common to have 1 cylinder go bad? All trigger wires to coils show same resistance )

CDI Electronics.com have good checking regime specific to Johnson/Evinrude if you have a peak reading voltmeter ( I don't) I have a spare power pak I think is OK will swap in tomorrow & report

Dukemeister

Cadet
Yes. pack can be bad on 1 cylinder. I wintered my boat in dead state and took it to the shop for repair. They diagnosed bad stator (like I did) and replaced it, but it only ran on 2 cyl... so they also replaced the pack. Now it fires on all 3. A new problem arose, it seems the VRO fuel pump is also screwed... I will start a new post. This is getting really expensive.