1967 folding lighttwin Evinrude.lubrication issue

fdalbert

Recruit
How are the crank bearings lubricated? I noticed a screw on the right side of motor as facing the from front, that looks like a filler point. The motor runs but after about 10 minutes get hot and siezes. I let it cool down it starts up again. I am suspecting that the crank is not lubricating properly because the piston walls look good. I cleaned and blew out all the water channels on the powerhead and verified the lower unit is pumping water properly. Thank you in advance. Respectfully, Fred

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Are you mixing oil with the gas? Your motor is a 2-stroke and NEEDS oil mixed with the fuel. LOTS of oil, at a ratio of 16:1. That works out to a pint of oil per 2 gallons of gas. Hopefully you haven't done any permanent damage to the innards by running it until it seizes...

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have two of those engines. Best little motors ever made.

Actually, the oil/fuel mix ratio is 50:1.(it changed in 1963) One pint TCW-3 OUTBOARD oil only to six gallons of gasoline.

If it is siezing, either it is not getting oil or cooling water.

Can you touch the top of the top cylinder head when it gets hot? If it's too hot, you have a cooling water issue.

Two things would happen to those:

1. The leg gets clogged up with exhaust residue and it can't eject cooling water with the exhaust-thus no flow. Check the little holes midway down the leg and see if water is spraying out. If not, clean out the holes with a paper clip.

2. Make sure the water tubes are mating when the leg is folded down the "run" position.

fdalbert

Recruit
Thank both of you. I had always done 50:1 so I'll step up the mixture and make sure the exhaust ports are clear.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I would NOT run that motor on the manufacturer's recommendation - one of the few cases where I wouldn't. It is a plain bearing motor and really does need a fatter mix. 16:1 is what the 1963 & prior 3s ran and yours isn't much different from those. I wouldn't go any leaner than 24:1 if you really don't want to go to 16:1.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
I agree with Scott above. The 1964 year is just a general rule of thumb. Some fully jeweled motors pre 64 are fine on the 50:1 mix, some plain bearing motors like yours I would still run on a richer mix as stated above. OMC simply didnt want to make things too complicated I imagine, so had to pick a date. If it was my motor, it would run on at least a 24:1 mix. Just my 2 cents.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As I mentioned, I have two of them. One has 1000 hours if it has one. Neither has ever seen anything but 50:1.