outboard bracket evinrude 75 hp

yorab

Ensign
1963 evinrude 75 hp v4. When lowering my motor, there are 4 positions that the motor can lock into. When I bought the motor, there was no bolt or rod to lock the motor down. I bolted up a piece of all-thread, but I'm not sure which hole to use. Is there a better alternative than all-thread? Each hole locks the motor at a different angle in relation to the keel. Also the struts to assist lifting and lowering of the motor are not assisting very well. Does anybody know if these are still available?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: outboard bracket evinrude 75 hp

Yorab.... The correct angle of attack is for the engine cavitation plate to be slightly lower than the keel at the transom and parallel with the bottom of the boat.<br /><br />Have the boat on the trailer, then sight the boat and engine from the side at a slight distance. This will allow you to view the cavitation plate and the bottom of the boat at the same time. Insert the rod, lower the engine, view and adjust (move the rod) as needed<br /><br />If the engine is too far in, the boat will nose dive under power. If too far back, the bow will want to climb forever.<br /><br />Those two cylinders are not assist devices. On those older engines, they are simply shock absorbers.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

They call it a Thrust Rod and this is what it looks like.<br /><br />
site1046.jpg
<br /><br />Tilting the engine out raises the bow of the boat. Ideally, you want the engine tilted out as far as it will go without the prop ventilating (cavitating).<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

yorab

Ensign

Thanks for the info fellas.