1977 johnson seahorse 15 hp no spark one cylinder?

danv1979

Recruit
I have a 1977 johnson 15 it was running fine all spring, i took it out the other day and i have no spark in the top plug. i have tested the coils with an ohms meter and they are testing good. i know the stator and trigger are working because i have spark on the bottom plug. how would i go about trying to fix this without replacing everything, being the parts are expensive i dont want to buy more than what i need. also, the coils are wired into the same harness, if i had to buy the coils will they come as a pair with the correct end for the aplication or do i have to rewire them into the harness, any help from someone would be greatly appreaciated. thank you

kbait

Commander
If top plug still won't fire after coil swap, check out the wire bundle coming from under the flywheel.. sometimes wires will fray/crack where they flex due to armature plate rotation w/throttle. Also pull cd box plugs and inspect for corrosion, etc. CD boxes can just lose one cylinder, so that may likely be your issue.. but it's good to check out other possibilities before replacing.