1989 150hp evinrude scored cylinder

harleydad41

Recruit
This is my first time here so if I ask something incorrect go easy on me. I am new to boating. What I have is a 1989 150hp evinrude xp, I have a couple cylinders with low compression and one has a pretty good score in it. What I'm trying to find out is if I can hone cylinder and new ring kit to help out. I have been told you can't sleeve this engine and just wanted another input as to if I bought an anchor or can I fix it. Thanks.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Is the cylinder liner scored or does it have delaminated aluminum from the piston adhered to it? If the vertical lines will hone out, that's ok. If honing does not remove the scratch and you overhaul it, it will run ok for a while. All the time exhaust gas will migrate down that scratch towards the piston rings. Over time the ringset will carbon up and it's likely you may have another premature failure. Best to overbore just that one cyl. That is an acceptable factory repair. Make sure you get a factory replacement oversize if the other 5 are all stock factory pistons. Bombardier makes them in .020, .030 and .040 oversize. If you have piston aluminum adhered to the cast iron cyl wall, you can remove it carefully with some muratic acid, then hone it, replace that one piston only. I'd put 6 new ringsets in the engine during overhaul. You'll want to know the reason for the failure prior to re-starting the rebuilt engine. I'd be looking at the carbs-to see if the main jets may be restricted on the low compression cyls. Also possible those cyls were overheating, so check the rubber water diverters by each cyl to be sure they are correctly installed. Those were sought after engines in their day. Put out close to 165 hp at the prop.

Last edited:

harleydad41

Recruit
Thanks, as I said I am new to boating and I think I will be using this forum a lot. The other cylinders are on an average 105 to 115 compression and even with the low cylinder, the engine seems to run better than I expected but I can tell its not running up to its potential. The mechanic I took it to said the engine was just tired and had been ran hard. He said that's the way those engines were built, to go fast and hard and that's the way people ran them. But from the study I did before I bought this boat it seemed like those engines were a pretty solid built unit, so I hated to just junk it if I could save it.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
It is not suprising that it is in need of some major work. After all, it is 25 years old.... When overhauled it should be a great runner-just not very fuel efficient.

harleydad41

Recruit
I wouldn't mind buying a newer engine and fixing this one as a backup because of the fuel issue. Just not sure what I can replace it with. It is on a 1989 javelin 19.5 ft. I didn't give a lot for it and looked at what new engines cost and decided that wasn't gonna happen so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all your input.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Lots of torque/power in a lightweight package when compared to many of the new 4-stroke engines. Countless thousands of these crossflow V6 engines were built over the years. Parts are still readily available. Their roar from the special vented cowls was a plus back then.

harleydad41

Recruit
Thanks to everyone for the input, as this was my first marine engine to work on I just took my time and lots of pictures. Its all back together and runs like a champ and very strong. In the process of tearing out the old foam in the boat as it has become water logged over the years. Pulled out almost 300 pounds of soaked foam and a little over halfway through. Should lighten the boat up quite abit once I am done and new pour in foam installed.
Thanks again for all the help.