Darnit man!! She won't start!!

Saltlife8268

Cadet
Got a 92 johnson 120. Had it out yesterday and ran almost all day with no problems. Docked it last night and got up this morning and she wouldn't start. Guessing it's a fuel issue. It will turn over fine and catch every now and again but will only stay running for a few seconds. If I put it in neutral and throttle it up then start it, it will run for about 40 seconds at wot then die out. Now I have installed new fuel filter, fuel water separator filter. Removed carbs and thoroughly cleaned them. Installed new plugs and plug wires. I tried pumping primer ball while starting engine. Nothing is working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Can you keep it running by working the choke while it warms up?

qcernie

Cadet
Had the same problem once. Turned out to be trotline wrapped around the prop shaft.

Saltlife8268

Cadet
No, I have tried feathering the choke and still the same. I've also tried to turn the red lever on top of the choke solonoid and still the same. I honestly don't know if the solonoid is working. Shouldn't I hear it making some type of clicking noise when I press it in?? I've only owned this boat for a couple months and everytime I have started it, it has cranked up everytime on the first turn of the key. Never had to press in the choke.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer
Check all your hoses. Make sure none are cracked. Also make sure that none of those "lousy" plastic tees are broken. I'd go back & make sure those springs on the carburetor floats didn't come off.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

Saltlife8268

Cadet
Ok here's where I'm at. I installed new fuel pump, all new fuel lines, filters, primer ball, cleaned and over hauled all carbs. I checked spark on tester and it is jumping the gap but it's a faint whitish spark not a strong blue spark. Could this be the problem? If so whT do I do next. I unplugged the red plug under cowling and jumped the solenoid to rule out ignition switch and still have the same problem. It starts for about 8 seconds then shuts off. Thanks for everyone's help!!!