newbie never worked on a boat

jokerrw

Recruit
i have fished off a kayak and tube but cant anymore because of back surgery. i purchasced a 16ft northwood aluminum side console with a johnson 28 spl it has sat for 10 years needs wook, it ran fin when i bought it. i have it in a trash can filled with water, new fuel lines i have it running with the top cover off but when i put cover on it dies. also i have some water coming out the front single hole i think is the exhaust and some water co i comming out of the back two holes i let it idle about 10 minutes and felt the lower section just below the engine and it was fairly hot is this normal i know the water had a black oil slick on it.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
As far as it not running with the cover on...You probably have the foam liner on the inside of the cover loose and interfearing with air getting to the carbs or the air inlet under the back handle of cover is clogged.

Some black sludge in water is normal.

Water will come out of those holes, normal.

If it sat for ten years you should pressure test lower unit. Many posts on here about how to do that. I would also replace impeller, again many posts on here about how to do that.

Check out the sticky at the top of the forum.

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
When you say front, do you mean the tell tale? Or is water coming out of some part of the powerhead?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I believe he is talking about the small relief hole on the front of the midsection at about the the height of the water pump.

jokerrw

Recruit
I believe he is talking about the small relief hole on the front of the midsection at about the the height of the water pump.
you are correct jakedawg it is the lower part below what i would call the engine tray where the engine sits, it now starys and runs with cover on. now my otjer question is about the section below the engine and above the lower prop section woas real hot after idleing, i have the engine in a drum and water level is above the water intake and is just below the exhaust port. i will yry and take a picture tomorrow

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Like I said previously, consider replacing impeller, after ten years of sitting its either weak or will be shortly. Rubber impellers harden with time and then fail. This is what cools the engine. That section does get warm but i would not call it hot.