Does the 65hp evinrude have battery charging capabiltys?

Butter Bean

Seaman
Hello all.
I`m new to boating after 57 years I got my first boat because i get really sea sick but want to try lake boating.(not many waves) I bought a Ash-Craft 15` with a Johnson 65 hp. SER# J0016457 question is can this engine charge the battery? if so where is the wire, what color is the wire etc? Also how can I keep the battery topped off when not in use? (solar) ?
Thanks
Tom
Army (ret)

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 3 after the 65 indicates it to be a 1973 model.-----It has a flywheel alternator to charge the battery.

Butter Bean

Seaman
The 3 after the 65 indicates it to be a 1973 model.-----It has a flywheel alternator to charge the battery.

that's a good sign. where is the wire coming from on the engine and what color is it? I downloaded a manual for 10 bucks but it has nothing to do with charging systems from what I see. what I need is a charging wiring diagram for my evinrude.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
is it electric start? if so, the battery charges through the two wires that go to the batt for starting.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
On the side of the motor block should be a small cylinder, about an inch in diameter with a triangular base. That is the rectifier. It'll have two yellow wires and one red wire. The two yellow wires emanate from under the flywheel where the stator resides. The red wire should trace back to the hot battery terminal on the solenoid.

Butter Bean

Seaman
is it electric start? if so, the battery charges through the two wires that go to the batt for starting.

yes it is electric. and the guy I got it from uses small battery clamps and removed the battery when it wasn't in use. how do I test to see if it is charging? same as a car?

Butter Bean

Seaman
On the side of the motor block should be a small cylinder, about an inch in diameter with a triangular base. That is the rectifier. It'll have two yellow wires and one red wire. The two yellow wires emanate from under the flywheel where the stator resides. The red wire should trace back to the hot battery terminal on the solenoid.

ok I`ll look for those wires this weekend. . I did order a owners manual/service manual today so I hope that helps.

Butter Bean

Seaman

so the red wire should go to the positive side of the battery?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The big red wire from the battery goes to the starter solenoid.---The wee red wire from the rectifier goes to the same spot.

Butter Bean

Seaman
The big red wire from the battery goes to the starter solenoid.---The wee red wire from the rectifier goes to the same spot.

Got the big red wire battery to starter. and black is ground. and that's all the wires coming from the engine.

but the only other red wire I have is in a 3 wire bunch coming from the front of the boat. (made into the fiberglass) I figured out the brown and white wires are lights. got them redone and all lights are good now. but the red? wire coming from the front is still a mystery. also have 2 wires coming from the tech black and ? cant tell color?
somebody in the past has ran a red wire out of the throttle/shifter control to under the dash area but not hooked to anything? not even sure whats going on there.

Butter Bean

Seaman
ok I`ll look for those wires this weekend. . I did order a owners manual/service manual today so I hope that helps.

just checked it out there is only the large red/black wires coming from motor. so I`m guessing it isn't charging the battery

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the big red wire battery to starter. and black is ground. and that's all the wires coming from the engine.

Is there any chance you could show what you're describing with picutres?

Thick red cable from battery should hook up to the starter solenoid (thick secondary post) along with the thinner red wire coming from the terminals infront or near the rectifier. The opposite (thick secondary post) on the solenoid is what you hook up to the starter (max 10" of cable to go pos-pos). The quote above sounds like you hooked battery right up to starter?

As a rule of thumb, red is positve or HOT. If you have a red coming from the control box then Im going to imagine it is going to relate to either Idle Safety or Starter/Solenoid Circuit. Is it red primarily with a yellow stripe? If so that may also connect to one of the small posts on the solenoid and then also to the key switch. This way when the key is turned to start, it actuates the solenoid, which in turn activates the starter motor. I have a seloc wiring I can provide but factory is the way to go.

Butter Bean

Seaman
No Title

Is there any chance you could show what you're describing with picutres?

Thick red cable from battery should hook up to the starter solenoid (thick secondary post) along with the thinner red wire coming from the terminals infront or near the rectifier. The opposite (thick secondary post) on the solenoid is what you hook up to the starter (max 10" of cable to go pos-pos). The quote above sounds like you hooked battery right up to starter?

As a rule of thumb, red is positve or HOT. If you have a red coming from the control box then Im going to imagine it is going to relate to either Idle Safety or Starter/Solenoid Circuit. Is it red primarily with a yellow stripe? If so that may also connect to one of the small posts on the solenoid and then also to the key switch. This way when the key is turned to start, it actuates the solenoid, which in turn activates the starter motor. I have a seloc wiring I can provide but factory is the way to go.

Yes just took some pics here is what I have and ill have a video up on yt soon also. the first pic is the wire coming from battery to starter solenoid then the top wire goes to starter.2nd pic just shows both starter and solenoid. 3rd pic is just the battery hard to see but only one big red wire going to post,this is the wire going to the starter solenoid. the small red wire is for accessory's. (lights radio etc.

ok here is a vid I made trying to explain what I want to do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YOdMJ7NK48&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• photo204632.jpg
    photo204632.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo204633.jpg
    photo204633.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo204634.jpg
    photo204634.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

NicoPags

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok I looked at the pictures and video you sent me. Main wiring is correct. The red is indeed connected to solenoid. Your motor should charge a battery. However earlier in this thread i read "the guy I bought it off used small clamps and removed the battery when it wasnt in use". Does that mean when boat was trailered and not running at all. Or he disconnected the battery after the motor started?

Butter Bean

Seaman
Ok I looked at the pictures and video you sent me. Main wiring is correct. The red is indeed connected to solenoid. Your motor should charge a battery. However earlier in this thread i read "the guy I bought it off used small clamps and removed the battery when it wasnt in use". Does that mean when boat was trailered and not running at all. Or he disconnected the battery after the motor started?

it was running when I bought it from him he started it for me. but the boat stayed on the trailer when not in use.and he would take out the (automotive) battery and keep it in his garage. but yes it stayed connected when motor was running. but ive redone all that with the terminal's you see in pics I don't feel a need to disconnect the battery when I use it almost every weekend. but I do keep it charged via 110 charger.
I also plan on running a 2nd batt with a solar charger for radios. fm/cb/vhf/ham.

Butter Bean

Seaman
hey every one, well got it going and it was trash in the carbs.i just blew the out with my compressed air and fuel started flowing like it should. had around 5 gals of mixed gas to get rid of but cleaned out the gas tanks and this time put a fuel filter in line, she runs great.

and I took a volt meter out with me and found the battery is being charged while the motor is running but you have to be going not just at an idle.

thanks for all the help from those who helped.