5.5 CD-10 Broken Motor Bolt?

stubbz636

Recruit
Got a 1954 Johnson 5.5 CD-10 that ive been cleaning up and using for a small 14" fishing boat. During cleaning i found a spot of red paint that came off and now during testing it's spraying gas out of it but i cannot determine what exactly it is. Not sure if it's something i need to correct or i ca seal with JB weld or something and let it go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
It is supposed to have a recirculation hose that runs from the lower part of the crankcase to the upper, just under the support ring for the mag plate. Not sure what's going on there on yours, though, as the crankcase doesn't look right. I'm pretty sure the nub comes out at a 90-degree angle on mine...

nwcove

Admiral
It is supposed to have a recirculation hose that runs from the lower part of the crankcase to the upper, just under the support ring for the mag plate. Not sure what's going on there on yours, though, as the crankcase doesn't look right. I'm pretty sure the nub comes out at a 90-degree angle on mine...

isnt that the wrong side of the motor for the oiler line? it looks like a casting hole plugged with a pin of some sort? :confused:

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
I just went and looked at mine and nothing goes onto that piece, it looks like it has a plug in the hole. Recirculation hose is on the opposite side.

nwcove

Admiral
I just went and looked at mine and nothing goes onto that piece, it looks like it has a plug in the hole. Recirculation hose is on the opposite side.

i " picked" at mine a lil bit, and the "plug" isnt lead shot, as i thought it would be, not sure what its made of. shouldnt be a difficult fix tho .

stubbz636

Recruit
Thanks guys, any ideas on the best way to fix. I thought about drilling and tapping a bolt in there with some thread sealer but not sure how deep that goes. I know JB weld will get eaten by the gas before to long.