1963 40 hp johnson electric shift outboard model RK-25D fuel line question

terry2626

Seaman
I have a 1963 40 hp Johnson electric shift outboard model RK-25D (that has not been started in 20+ years if not longer) that I am trying to restore. I want to replace all the fuel lines with new ones. (worried about dry rotted lines) What I am wondering is. What size fuels lines does this outboard take. I looked at it the other day and noticed that they are two different sizes. Also does anyone know the size, and how much of each size line would I need to replace the all? One other question that I have is on the fuel pump. The little glass bowl. Does it screw into the bottom of the fuel pump or just sit there and the screw holds it in place? Thanks

rcmayer

Recruit
I just finished this task with my 1963 Evinrude 40HP Lark. I know Johnson & Evinrude are similar, but can't claim I know they are identical so my response is based on Evinrude. The fuel hose was 1/4" ID, I used marine fuel line per my guru's recommendation. I measured that I needed 11', but bought 15' for security. I thought mine had 2 sizes as well, turns out one that comes out of the front of the engine between the carb & starter and goes to the port side of the engine is a vacuum hose. I took it to NAPA & got silicone hose to match (again per my guru). It was about 16-18", they only sell by the foot anyway. My fuel bowl has a wire cradle underneath it with a plastic nut. By turning that nut it loosened, and swung to the side, allowing the fuel bowl to drop. I was able to buy a fuel filter (looks like a little net bag) and a couple of replacement gaskets online. Took more hours than I expected, but hasn't been done in a number of years on mine (which my father bought new). I highly recommend you heat a cup of water in microwave to very hot, then soak 2" of the hose in hot water just before trying to install that end. It makes the hose end larger & softer, & much easier to get on. Also, getting one fuel line & the vacuum hose required removing the electric starter; that required loosening the bolts that hold down the manual starter so the electric starter would slide off the 3 studs that come out the starboard side of the engine.
Good luck, & please post whether this was accurate for your Johnson as well. May your knuckles remain uninjured...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Johnson / Evinrude are the same in these years.---Only difference are the cowling and paint colour.

I measured that I needed 11', but bought 15' for security.

I'm ready to replace the lines on my 64 28hp Johnson. I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but you did mean 11 INCHES, correct? I just can't see 11 feet of hose on my engine. If I'm wrong, please let me know so I get enough.

Thanks!

terry2626

Seaman
Rcmayor,
Sorry for the late response but been crazy arund here and have not had time to get on. Thank you for the info on the fuel lines, as well as the vacuum lines. It will be of great help when i go to replace everything. Again thank you.

terry2626

Seaman
Rcmayer,
Sorry for the late response but been crazy arund here and have not had time to get on. Thank you for the info on the fuel lines, as well as the vacuum lines. It will be of great help when i go to replace everything. Again thank you.