1976 johnson 75 exhaust cover bolts

I am working on my ol Johnson trying to get it running good. I came across a new problem the other day. My middle cylinder was filling up with water. I have since removed the cylinder head and the exhaust manifold. The problem was defineately in the exhaust housing. The motor at one time had the gaskets replaced and who ever put it back together just glued one of the broken bolts in so of course the gasket was compromised between the water jacket and exhaust port. I have the new gaskets on the way. I broke a few of the exhaust cover bolts when removing and all the others were corroded badly. What would be the recommended replacements since the factory bolts are no longer available? Could I use 18-8 stainless 1/4-20 flange head bolts or is there something that is recommended?

Also one more question. When installing the exhaust gaskets do I use gasket sealant? The head gasket does not require any but I am not sure about the exhaust gaskets?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You need gasket sealer on all the exhaust gaskets. A caramel-colored Permatex sealer in a can works well.

Thanks! I got some new bolts coming but they have a serrated flange. I was thinking I need to put washers under them to get the correct torque reading. What do you think?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
None of the bolts came with washers from the factory. But they are not considered critical fasteners, either.