1985 Evinrude 140 no power

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Good morning! I have been running a 1985 Evinrude 140 hp on my Starcraft for almost 2 years and it has been 100% reliable the entire time. I've put about 100-125 hours on it I would estimate. Yesterday, it started well but idled low enough that it idled itself off. She started right back up and ran normally for 30 minutes of tubing. I had all the power I normally have from it. Then, after it had been in nutrition for a minute while I situated a tube, nothing much happened when I pushed the throttle. At full throttle I was going about 2mph... sounded like it does if you just bump it into forward. I could not get it to Rev up for anything. After about 3 min of limping back towards the launch, she died. It turns over perfectly but won't catch. The fuel line and primer bulb check out ok, the gas is fresh and 50:1. After a kindly pontoon towed us back, I checked the plugs and they look ok- no excessive fouling or anything. I bought this engine from a dealer who had gone through it all and replaced seals, water pump, etc. I did misread my oil bottle though, I read the amount needed for liters of gas instead of gallons. I put a smidge extra in though, so for about 50 hours of use it was at about 150:1. She ran perfectly on that and had tons of power. I noticed my stupid mistake 2 trips ago, say about 4 hours of use. That's the only thing that's change since I've owned it. sorry for the long winded post, but any ideas on what I might check on?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that folks know so little about the importance of mixing gas and oil properly. ---So yes do a compression test first !!!