1996 Johnson 225 knocking and metal rattling noises?

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought that I had solved the metal "chinging" noises after a flywheel magnet came apart with the tips of the stator coils.. Apparently not, the sound is still there at WOT?? Also I have an internal knock in the engine, disconnecting one spark plug wire at a time for all six cylinders and restarting the engine did not get rid of the knock so it's not a missfire.. Your thoughts on the metal noise and the engine knock?? I assume that they are associated with each other but I am at a loss for ideas to diagnose?? I don't have a oil reservoir, I mix 50:1 or a quart for every 12 gallons of 87 octane that I put in. Git a fishing tournament coming August 8th and could really use the help.. Thanks guys in advance...

Bosunsmate

Admiral
timing out can cause a knock,
otherwise id start checking the pistons for play at tdc in case your big end bearings or wristpins have gone
and compression next

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am gonna take video of it this weekend so you guys can hear it.. I'll get back to you soon..

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Check the lower unit oil as a shot gearcase will cause knocking and sound like powerhead.

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good thought, I will do that tomorrow.. I was having trouble last Sunday getting the boat into reverse gear (grinding) and I pulled it back out to adjust it. All the while there was a looming storm over the Charleston Harbor that I thought was going to miss us, well in due time that storm showed up madder than hell and the guys trying to land their boats were at a total loss and just got soaked in rain drops the size of bull frogs. I on the other-hand was sitting in my truck with the A/C running and a cold beer in my hand watching the storm pass.. It seems like my boat was looking out for me that day, had a great Harbor cruise with my dog after the storm passed.. I felt bad for those poor suckers out there in the down-pour, and then it dawned on me.. My boat kept me high and dry..

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After I adjusted the reverse gear cable (I have a whole new set-up cables and shifter and still have to adjust the reverse gear linkage as full aft as it will go, which was the same for the old shifter) it worked like a charm.... That is also the forward gear cable but I have no problem with that locking in.. I'll check the fluid tomorrow.. Well today actually.. Thanks for the advice