1993 Johnson 90 broken and siezed cylinder head bolt...Help!

Mike Lammert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I have been wanting to do head and water passage gaskets on my outboard for about a year now and I finally got around to it, and now I think im in deeper than I thought. The reason for wanting to do this is that I notice a lot of heavy corrosion where the heads meet the block, and the small bit of the head gasket that is exposed at that joint is rusting and disintegrated. I recently replaced the piezo horn inside the overheat buzzer (which hasn't worked since I have owned this motor) and after 10 to 12 minutes of running at 4k rpms overheat buzzer sounds. Shift to nuetral and idle for 20 seconds and it goes away. I figured that I need new thermostats as I haven't done them since I have owned this motor (about 6 years) and who knows when they were done before that, and im sure the water passages are clogged with white corrosion. So after disconnecting electrical components I started with the starboard side and after breaking the heads off of 4 water passage bolts, I decided to try to remove the heads with the passage cover still attached. Miraculously I was able to get all 10 bolts free and removed. I was not quite so lucky on the port side. I was able to free and remove 6, however I did break 4. 1 of these is so corroded that the shaft of the bolt is siezed to the insides of the bolt hole in the head, and will not come off. Since there are more than 1 broken off I can only get about 1/4 inch rotation back and forth, however it looks like the bolt is roataing with the head, so I believe it is free in the threads but stuck in the shaft portion. Any one have any secret tricks for removing these type of situations? Ive tried pb blaster, heat, and freeze release, and tried to drive a wood shim between the head and block. I am worried I am going to mess up the cylinder head if I keep on it too much.

fireman57

Captain
Seriously, with that many broken and bad just remove the power head and take it to a machine shop.They will get them out and make sure the threads are good for when you put it back on. You won't be sorry.