1992 Johnson 30Hp Questions

jasper60103

Commander
runs great and purrs like a kitten except for this little cut-out around whatever this rpm is that it does this and the fact that I cannot get a tach to work on it.

I'm no expert, but it sounds ignition related to me, especially since it's only happening at a particular RPM. I'm wondering if you could be getting electrical interference (noise) from somewhere? Were there any electronics running onboard? What kind of spark plugs are you using?

AlTn

Commander
your year model has the ufi ignition system which has a reputation for intermittent ignition problems, but it could also have other causations, i.e. chaffed kill wire, bad connection in one of the plugs, etc. I agree with Jasper that it sounds like an ignition problem to me.

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Plugs are Chanpion QL77JC4

No, no other electronics running. In fact, I had the batter switch off so there was no juice going to ant lights or the 12v outlet.

fstorm08

Hi Everyone! I am starting to immerge from my cave :)
I got the new rectifier but was also wondering, for those of you with this motor, what spark plugs do you run in it?
I believe from what I found the Champion QL77JC4 are the stock/standard plug but that info may not be correct and or if it is, they may not be the best plug to run.

Thanks everyone!

Ryan

fstorm08

I found some other options online to try. Any input put from anyone?
20, 25, 28, 30, 35 (2 cyl)1977-2005QL77JC4 or QL82C
or L78V
BZ7HS-10 or BR7HS
or BUHW-2

I am currently using the QL77JC4.

Thank you!
Ryan

fstorm08

Thanks again Jasper.

Hopefully the new rectifier will get the tack working and that little hiccup at slower speeds.

Or at the very least, get the tach working so I know what rpm the hiccup is happening at :)

jasper60103

Commander
Thanks again Jasper.

Hopefully the new rectifier will get the tack working and that little hiccup at slower speeds.

Or at the very least, get the tach working so I know what rpm the hiccup is happening at :)

OK.
Also, be sure to check the easy things like tank vent, fresh fuel 50:1, spark plug gap and wires for any signs of cracks or wear.
Keep us posted.

-jasper

fstorm08

Hey guys. Getting ready to just back in to this hopefully this weekend. I have the new rectifier so here goes.

I'll keep you all posted. :)

fstorm08

Hi everyone,

Been a while but have more info on the motor...

On the front of changing the rectifier to see if that would get the tach working, that did not work. Anything else that might be keeping this from working? The tach worked fine with the 72 Johnson 50hp I had on there before this motor.

In the slight sneeze, cutout, I am still tracing and wires and cleaning connections and putting dielectric on them. Hopefully will find something soon on that.

Thanks again for all your assistance thus far!

-Ryan

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
No suggestions to your problem but I do have a question. How did you contact BRP for the info on your serial number? I just acquired one that has been horribly camo painted and the best I can find so far is this engine is a 1992-94 30hp.
Just getting it running now so maybe I'll be able to relate more info as I get into this one. Also does yours have an airbox on the carb? This one doesn't.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the response. Makes me wonder why they didn't put an air box on these or if there should be one..
Just called around today for a pump kit and everyone local is out of stock so I'm on hold for a few days. As soon as I can get it on the water I'll post back results and watch for that miss you've got.

What tach are you trying to use. Does it have the pot settings on the back?