1974 evinrude cooling issue

huntfishtx

Cadet
This is my first post new to iboats. Let me start by stating my problem I have a 1974 evinrude 50 hp cooling issue. I've replace the water pump, water pump housing and thermostat but continues to overheat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated m

fireman57

Captain
You need to make sure that all the water passages are clear. I would start by removing the thermostat and take some fairly stiff but flexible wire and run it as far as I can through the water jacket passages. You have a clog somewhere. You might have to pull the head and clean them that way. When they sit they tend to get calcium deposits in then as they are aluminum. Don't use anything like CLR or other chemicals on it.

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
pull off the lower unit again and check your water inlet screen. calcium again. I had the same issue with my 1974 40hp, that has a different setup on the lower unit. all the same...I would check your water intake screen. dollars to donuts, she's plugged.

huntfishtx

Cadet
That's the thing I don't thing the inlets are clogged when I run it in a trash can the water is gushing out the exhaust

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so, it seems like your motor is pushing plenty of water through? what makes you think it's overheating? are you checking the heat of the cylinder head with a heat gun while it's running? is the side water jacket cool to the touch? please throw us a little more info

huntfishtx

Cadet
The buzzing is going off Indicating That It Is Overheating That And The Head Extremely Hot To The touch