evinrude 88hp 1987 starting probleme

racso

Seaman
Ok guys so someone told me that compression could be causing the motor to take a while to start ...what kind of compression is good for this 88 hp motor ....i am getting a read of only about 120. Is this good or what. Help please

racso

Seaman
Ok .. so for an 88 horse lower or higher is ther a minimun on compression?

compression gauges are not to accurate so no one really gives a number as you can try 3 different gauges and get 3 different results. The other reason is a test is meant to be done with the engine warm so if you are testing a non runner for a problem then the results will be lower.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I am surprised that the compression is that high. That engine came with the low compression bathtub heads from the factory. Normally it would have compression 95+ on each cyl. Most of the older high compression 85 hp crossflows from the late 90's ran 125. Should be a good runner.

racso

Seaman
Well . Today i wanted to inspect the lower unit seals .only to find out that there is linkcage i think is the shifter, anyways could no get the lower unit loose because the way it is connected cant fit a wrench in there ...does any one had this problem ...how can i do it is there a trick to it

fireman57

Captain
I assume that we are missing something here. You went from a starting problem to getting the lower unit off. I guess the starting problem is fixed and now we have a lower unit problem? Just don't understand how these two are connected

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
In order to remove/release the lower unit, the shift mechanism must be detached under the bottom carb. Are you working from a factory service manual?

racso

Seaman
Hahaha...fireman the thing is I checked sparks plugs ,cables . Power packs , coils and all look ok and went to the lower unit because though of checking the water pump, u nkow just to see how thats doing . But the ingnition problem i think is just a durty carb

racso

Seaman
Thanks to you all for the advise . Its been very helpfull.. tkanks. Alot

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You do not need a wrench to disconnect the shift rod !-----You find the hitch pin on the shift shaft on the motor.---Remove that hitch pin.---Then push the shift shaft in to release the shift rod.