Reviving a 1968 Evinrude 100-S Starflyte

autoarcheologist

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to get a 1968 Reinell 19' and Evinrude 100-S Starflyte operational again for a little summer fun with our girls.

20140512_111309.jpg

I had a local mechanic check her out and get it started, and I was also able to start it on a hose here at the house. The PO had the gear oil replaced, rebuilt the carbs and replaced the water pump (by the same mechanic) so it should be close to ready to go. I also replaced all the fuel hoses for safety, and added bulbs that were missing for some reason. I added a second fuel filter near the tank to watch for gunk from the old tank, and so far it's clean.

So yesterday we took it to the lake for her maiden voyage. We got the boat off the trailer and tied up at the dock. I got it started, then it died after about a minute, and wouldn't restart. After pulling the plugs and cleaning them I was able to get one pop then nothing. So we pulled the boat out and went to the beach. We still had fun, but it was frustrating to not get it started. I think part of the problem was not getting it into a good fast idle while it warmed up. Partly user error, partly old plugs.

Today I'm picking up a few sets of plugs and I leaned a ton last night doing a little research.

The current plugs in it are Champion L76V. The Evinrude parts page ( http://shop.evinrude.com/products/553609/2-Stroke ) calls for a L78V or a QL77J4C.

The QL77J4C is a standard plug, while the L78V is a surface gap plug.

The difference between the the L76V and the L78V is the gap, the L76V has a 1.3mm gap, the L78V has a 1.7mm gap.

I was also able to cross reference the L78V to a NGK BUHW-2. The L76V cross references to a NQK BUHW. Same difference with the NGK, the gap is larger on the -2.

Napa carries the NGKs so today I'm picking up two sets of NGks in hopes of getting her back into the water and running reliably. I also plan to pick up a set of the QL77J4C plugs or the NGK equivalent once I can find them to see if they are less prone to fouling.

I thought some of this info might help someone in the same situation as me. If anybody has any experience to share I'm all ears.

After new plugs if it's still stalling I will look at adjusting the carbs, I assume it's running too rich, but I'm a 2-stroke noob.

When I was digging through the parts included with the boat I also found 10+ AC spark plugs, model V40FFS. It is also a surface gap plug, but it extends another 1/4" longer than the Champions. Has anybody seen these, or run them in their engine? The extra length might help with fouling, but I would be afraid they would punch a hole in the top of the piston. I'm not planning on trying them. never mind that they are likely 30 years old. Just very interesting.

14+-+1

Cheers,
Ian

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, the extra length plugs might hit the pistons. My Mercs all use the BUHW-style plugs, but I was never married to them. If it were me, I would choose the conventional gap plugs, as I have never had a fouling problem with a gap plug, that was the spark plug's fault.

I will guess that spark plugs are not your only problem, sorry.

autoarcheologist

Seaman Apprentice
So I picked up a set of BUHW, BUHW-2 and the standard plugs, but still no go. I have since replace the wiring harness but still no fire, so I think either a sensor is bad, or the powerpack went bad. More trouble shooting to do!

Willyclay

Captain
Two threads about the same problem is a little confusing to us old geezers. IMHO you should pick one and make all posts in it only. Good luck!