Primer solenoid issues for Johnson 88spl

Ripton46

Recruit
Seem to be having problems with primer solenoid on my1988 Johnson 88hp. It works fine when the engine is cold...I even tested it this morning by removing one of the primer fuel lines to the top carb, and it squirted out fuel when the key switch was pressed in. Ok, this where I'm having problems, after the engine is run for about 10 mins or so, when I press in on the key switch, the primer solenoid doesn't work. I've cleaned the wire leads coming off the solenoid and coming up from the key switch...still no luck. This primer solenoid isn't that old(2009), but not sure what their longevity is either. Also replaced the key switch last year, so that shouldn't be causing any issues.

get someone to press the key in when its warm you should be able to hear the click. fuel will only come out if you have pumped the primer ball until its stiff or the engine is cranking and the fuel pump is supplying the pressure.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Once the motor is warmed up you shouldn't have to use the primer any more. At least every motor I've had I only needed to prime them when they sat for a long time. Like over night.

Once the motor is warmed up you shouldn't have to use the primer any more. At least every motor I've had I only needed to prime them when they sat for a long time. Like over night.

yep I agree with that. If you press the key in on my motor when its warm your in for a 5 minute wait because it floods real easy.