Primer solenoid issues for Johnson 88spl

Ripton46

Recruit
Seem to be having problems with primer solenoid. It works fine when the engine is cold...I even tested it this morning by removing one of the primer fuel lines to the top carb, and it squirted out fuel when the key switch was pressed in. Ok, this where I'm having problems, after the engine is run for about 10 mins or so, when I press in on the key switch, the primer solenoid doesn't work. I've cleaned the wire leads coming off the solenoid and coming up from the key switch...still no luck. This primer solenoid isn't that old(2009), but not sure what their longevity is either. Also replaced the key switch last year, so that shouldn't be causing any issues.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Did you replace the key switch with a factory switch? Any chance the switch has some rainwater in it? Is the switch installed in the correct orientation-with the water drain hole down?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Why do you need to prime when warm? It's possible that the plastic housing is swelling a bit with heat and pinching on the plunger inside.

Ripton46

Recruit
Thanks, will loosen that clamp up so it's just snug... It's not so much that I need to use the choke once it's warm, but after stopping the engine for sometime, it's needs a little primer to get her started again, and the solenoid wouldn't work... But I will let you know if this works