1992 Johnson Fast Strike - 175 HP

boog611

Recruit
I own a 1992 Stratos with a 175 HP Johnson Fast Strike outboard. I got the boat in Tennessee and it ran great. I brought the boat back home to NM and it won't plane off. The motor cranks and idles well, but can't get enough power to plane off.
I talked to the local area "experts" and they said that due to the elevation change, which is approx. 4,000' higher in NM, the propeller needed to be changed. They recommended that I go from a 25" pitch prop to a 23" or lower. I purchased a 23" pitched prop and there is no change in the performance of the boat. It still won't plane off. I honestly don't think a lower pitched prop will help.
I noticed that there is a lot of gas getting to the motor, probably more than it should, in my opinion. The plugs are wet with gas and there is gas coming out of the air intakes. I also noticed that whenever I squeeze the gas bulb, gas comes out around the fuel pump gasket.
I've traced the fuel lines to see if there are any cracks, loose connections, etc. and haven't noticed anything suspicious. At this point, I'm wondering if there is anything that needs to be done to the carburetors. Most of the people I talk to tells me that there is nothing wrong with the carburetors.
I'll also note that my dad, who gave me the boat, took the boat to the mechanic in TN and spent almost $1,000 getting the boat motor lake ready. He told me that the mechanic cleaned the carbs, replaced all fuel lines, and tuned it.
What can the problem be?

I also noticed that whenever I squeeze the gas bulb, gas comes out around the fuel pump gasket.

That shouldn't be happening. IMO this is a likely cause of your problem, if gas can get out when you squeeze the primer bulb then it's entirely possible that air is being sucked into your fuel system with the engine running.