Warning Buzzer 1985 Johnson 70HP help needed.

GOARMY60

Cadet
I have a Johnson 70HP outboard which to the best I can come up with is a 1985 per the Serial number.
J70TLC0S next to the last digit looks to be a Zero ????

Has no VRO.

I have run the boat a dozen times and the motor runs great. Starts up on the first or 2nd crank most times.

Started it up about a month ago on the mufs and ran for 30 minutes fine.

Took it out this weekend started fine and pulled from the dock only to get constant warning buzzer ????

Motor was not pissing at that time.

Idled at the dock and engine then began to pee but still warning buzzer was sounding ????

Took it home put on the muffs and a different gas tank and even before the start the warning buzzer was sounding.

Motor started right up but buzzer still is going off....

Help if you can.

thanks,

Bosunsmate

Admiral
you need to check if its overheating or a faulty alaem.
it shouldnt get above 170 deg F
Not pissing is bad, and then pissing.
Might need an impellor change

GOARMY60

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback. The warning alarm sounds even when the engine is cold on the trailer so it cant be an over heat issue?
What other reason does the solid horn sound for other than an over heat issue?????

Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The thing is that the engine thinks it's overheating. Could be a problem with the horn, or it could be that the temp switch in the head is defective (is shorted to ground.) When it goes to ground you will get a constant horn warning, even if the powerhead is cold.

Last edited:

GOARMY60

Cadet
Thanks...Thats what I was thinking???? The temp switch...is it the rubber plug with the wire in the center of it? It looks like it comes from the sealed module and connects into the round rubber plug with the wire in the center? I bought a clymar service manual and there is noting in there about this subject.

GOARMY60

Cadet
The horn is sealed inside the binacle. I had to take the bincale off yesterday to fine the key number as the key was lost by wife.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The temp. sensor is in the head, as you decribed with a tan wire coming out of it. As mentioned, it is grounded somewhere.

You can replace the sensor by removing the head cover. That is the thin part of the head that covers the water passages on top of the head itself.

If you don't know when the impeller was last serviced, you are overdue.