1996 Evinrude 90hp SPL Check engine light? Problem

dmmqrm

Cadet
I have a question for the smart ones out there! I have this 1996 90 hp SPL Evinrude engine on my boat. Last year I could get 45 mph out of it. Now this year coming out of dry dock here in fl. it will not get over 35 mph. Every time I used it the check engine light would come on and go off all the time. I checked the wirers for shorts, I looked at the power pack / spark plug connections, did every thing you could do with a electric tester / meter. I thought it must be the power pack so I bought a new one and put it on. Now when I start it the check engine light stays on and don't go off. I looked it up in the book and it says a fuel problem. Can that be ? I looked on the fuel pump screen and no problem there. It runs fine just lost power at WOT from last time I had it running last year. I checked compression on the cylinders its around 130 each. The only other thing I can think of is the fuel / water filter inline the fuel tank Can this be my problem ? ? Thanks Please HELP

ob

Admiral
Re: 1996 Evinrude 90hp SPL Check engine light? Problem

Ryan, I am not familiar with the check engine light circuit on your outboards alarm system as to whether it is "on" when there is a fuel restriction detected or not.What does your manual state as an overtemp alarm?<br /><br /> Your symptom sounds to me as if there is in fact a problem with fuel delivery.You can rule out whether it is fuel pump or carb related by pumping the primer bulb when the engine will not progress to full RPMs .If pumping the bulb causes engine to pick up RPMs your problem could be defective fuel pump.Defective fuel fittings on tank or engine causing restriction,restriction in tank pickup tube,or fuel tank not venting properly are also possibilities of a fuel delivery problem.<br /><br />Does the prime bulb colapse during full throttle application?<br /><br />If pumping the bulb has little or no effect on RPMs ,your problem is likely fouled carburetors or restriction upstream of pump.Since your engine sat idle for a good spell it is probable that carb porting or bowl pickup tubes are restricted with gummy deposits.<br /><br />Perform the prime bulb test and we can go from there.Also ,look in your owners manual and see if the check engine light is also an indicator of engine overheat.

dmmqrm

Cadet

Pumping the bulb does not help the matter. I replaced the fuel/water separator today and that's not it either. The temp gauges have been replaced to. Their is a overheat temp light on the dash . The owners manual says if the check engine light is on it is a fuel problem. This is a Evinrude SPL so it is not oil injectshion. I have not a clue about carbs. If someone can tell me what to look at, I would love it.

ob

Admiral

Ryan,The carbs on your engine are equipped with fixed orifices that are prone to restrictions if not started regularly.Remove the air box cover to gain acces to the orifice plug caps and orifices.They can be removed and cleared of obstructions if present.The fuel passages could also be restricted which will require carb removal and complete rebuild.<br /><br />Visually inspect the fuel lines to and from the carbs and fuel pump and insure you have no air leaks.Here's a diagram of your engines carb and components for location of orifice referal.#9 and #15 is a good place to start although if gummy deposits are present you will likely need to remove carbs and rebuild. web page

dmmqrm

Cadet

I checked the orifices they are clear of obstructions. Does anyone think a carb kit will do the job. If so what is the typical price for a carb kit to be installed? Has anyone ever had a problem with the check engine light on a 96 Evinrude 90 SPL before. I am starting to not have a clue what the loss of power can be!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi RyanMac.<br /><br />Maybe a couple things to look at. Pull the hood off and pump up the primer bulb tight and keep some pressure on it with your hand. Look around the float bowls and see if any of them is leaking around the float bowl gasket. Your float bowls are plastic and have a tendency to warp after a while. Also check that none of your recirc system hoses have come off the connections. These are the small hose that come off the front and go back to the rear. Also, a fuel line may seem tight but can suck air and not leak fuel so this would be something to double check. You can also dribble some carb cleaner along the seams of gaskets to check for leaks. With the engine running, the engine will idle up a little if some of the cleaner is sucked into the crankcase.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Your 90 SPL ONLY has an alarm for overheat, it does not have any other system to turn on the Check Engine Lite, unless a wire is shorted, or more likely, the gauge is bad. The V4 outboards do not have a fuel restriction warning.<br /><br />Is there an rpm difference between last year and this year, or are you only seeing a difference on the speedo?

clanton

Rear Admiral

What Seahorse means is your engine only has 1 sensor, which is for overheat. The other 3 lights have no engine sensor to operate them. Tach is probley bad.

ob

Admiral

If you have no difference in RPMS at WOT ,unless your prop is spun or your speedo is faulty you have to be going the same speed as before.As for the check engine light,if it is not being initiated from the overtemp sensor, I don't have a clue.Does your boat have an OMC tach and a pitot tube type speedo?

dmmqrm

Cadet

The engine failed the power pack test on cylinder #2 & #3. #2 had no voltage and #3 had alt of 0 - 150v. The problem use to come and go at idle and full speed. I replaced the power pack and now instead of the light coming on sporadically it stays on all the time. Outboard Jim thanks I looked at the carb while pumping the bulb and no leaks so I am thinking it must be something else??? Seahorse This engine does have a check engine light along with a no oil, water temp, and low oil light. But your right after further inspection of the book it says only V6 and V8 models! So how did the check engine light come on sporadically when the engines power pack was bad and now it just stays on??? I guess the problem is why would the check engine light come on sporadically before the new power pack install and now it just stays on all the time. No there is no rpm diff. just a speed diff. by around 10 mph and the light comes on as sone as the engine is started. Hope this helps because I'm clueless

dmmqrm

Cadet

well I looked a little futher in the book and yes on the 96-98 models there is a thing called a MWS (Modular Wireing System) installed on it. And it does say if the check engine light is on the fuel supply is restricted ???????? That is what theClymer book says. HELP

clanton

Rear Admiral

If you realy think it has a fuel restriction sensor, look on left side of engine, sensor will be connected to fuel system with a T and has 2 wires tan and black. I would guess that the engine should have been rigged with a standard tach. OMC manual does not show VRO system for this engine, which has the low oil and no oil sensor or fuel restriction sensor

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

It still sounds like a bad gauge as your motor does not have any way of turning on the check engine, no oil, or low oil lites. See if you can beg, barrow, or steal (?) either a System Check tach or warning gauge and fire up the motor.<br /><br />Your ignition system, pack, etc. cannot turn on the warning lites. Don't believe everything you read in an "off-brand" service manual, the factory one is the only authority on your motor.