88 ranger boat with 94 Johnson Fast strike motor

jonja51

Cadet
I bought it last week and there is an alarm that sounds off when I start the motor. Idles ok but when engaged it bogs down and powers off. The alarm stays on the whole time. I took off the top and the cover of the front that exposes the valves looking for the fuel filter and there is a wired plug that was separated. Wondering if that is why the alarm is sounding off. The primer bulb also flattens out when it does run and I was trying to locate the fuel filter to see if it was clogged. Where is the fuel filter located?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
That engine has the SLOW system. Once the engine overheats, the power pack limits engine rpms to approx. 2500 so that the engine won't hurt itself. It is reset if you turn the key off/on or if the overheat is resolved and the engine cools down. That engine is also equipped with a vacuum switch that may sense if there is a high fuel suction problem. Possible that the high suction may also set a warning horn. Check your factory service manual or owner's manual for the specifics. on that year.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You can look at the original exploded factory parts diagrams at: epc.brp.com. If one of the two head temp switches has shorted to ground, it will sound the overheat warning constantly when the key is on. Disconnect both temp switches temporarily as a test. What are the wire colors going to the disconnected plug?

jonja51

Cadet
I took it out today and I'm going to have to replace the middle battery because it won't charge. When I try to give it gas so it planes out the alarm sounds and it bogs down and seems to slip out of gear and revs up. Here is the picture of the plug and wires.

jonja51

Cadet
Wanted to give an update on the alarm. I replaced both of the Thermostats and the alarm issues are over. Runs good and no alarm going off.