89 johnson impellor revised

cmc636

Cadet
What could cause the water to come out the lower unit and not where its supposed to ? I have been having a problem with the overheat alarm, I have replaced the thermostats, impellor.At the end of last season I took out the thermstats and the water flow increased ,ran it wide open for 45 min without yhe alarm. Today I replaced the impellor and have water coming out as stated above.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 89 johnson impellor revised

What hp is your motor? You may have a blockage in a water passage somewhere. Removing the thermostats will provide for a greater amount of water to go through the system and keep it cool even if you have a partial blockage. Running without thermostats is OK for testing but not a good thing to do for the long haul.<br /><br />Water will come out from a bunch of places when you run it on your trailer. That is normal.

cmc636

Cadet

I have a 200hp Johnson VRO. When I replaced the impellor I noticed the tube towards the rear of the housing did not have a bushing on it making for a tight seal. The next thing I noticed was a larger than usual amount of water coming out from the lower unit and only a trickle from the discharge vent. Last season the overheat alarm went off a few times.The water was cool,but not flowing forcfully until I took out the thermostats. If its not the thermostats , impellor, could it be the sender (alarm) ?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi cmc...if your are referring to the water outlet tube in the water pump housing that the water tube goes into then you need to get a grommet in there. Sounds as if all most of your water is being blown out into the midsection.