1988 evinrude 115hp V4 - possible cooling issues

Jason Micallef

Seaman Apprentice
Hi folks, Thanks for any advice in advance. I have a 1988 evinrude- 115hp -V4 with possible cooling issues. VRO Oil injector disconnected, gas ratio 50:1.
I notice when I run my motor with earmuffs in the driveway for 2 minutes. I get a series of beeps from the ignition beeeeep.... beeeeep.... beeeeep.... beeeeep. Turn the motor off ,check it over half the engine is alot hotter on the right side. I belive it is, standing at the back of the motor on the right top cylinder # 1 and bottom right cylinder # 4. Those two get alot hotter than # 2 and # 3 .Changed the plugs and wires ran "ALOT" better still the same issue. Rebuilt both carbs again ran even better with the same issue. Any ideas or opinions would very much be appreciated. OH! .....one other thing the fuel pump slash old oil injector that is linked together...... I hear a clicking sound coming from there not sure if that was normal.
Thanks -Jason

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
on the back of the motor at the bottom, there are 2 hoses going to a cover that has 2 stats inside

Jason Micallef

Seaman Apprentice
on the back of the motor at the bottom, there are 2 hoses going to a cover that has 2 stats inside
aaahhh crud.... I found them they are DEEEEEP under the back of the motor, looks like the bottom shroud has to get unbolted to properly access it to remove the three bolts and replace the thermostats and seal. I hope that is my problem. Do you know if the fuel pump is supposed to make a loud clicking noise when running or the old VRO oil pump maybe? Thanks -J

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You may be looking in the wrong direction. An overheat warning horn is a constant beep. An intermittent beep is one of the two audible warnings for the VRO oiling system. One for the pump and the other for the pump's oil tank. Any chance that oil tank is still plugged in to the engine's wire harness? A rythymic beep (on second on, one second off is the pump warning.) A beep every 20 seconds is an oil tank warning. Your beep sequence may vary somewhat, based on year, so check your owner's manual or factory service manual. You may still have a cooling issue, aside from the intermittent beeping problem.

dr3ckster

Cadet
I agree with emdsapmgr. Overheat is constant beep. Sounds like fuel / oil problem.

As for the thermostats: On my 93 115 hp there is a bulb intake over the top of the thermostats. If you remove the bulb cover. You can replace the stats without removing the cowling. I'm told on older models there is no bulb. Maybe yours doesn't not. If so, should be easier.

Tip: Install the thermostat housings/gaskets together with adhesive before installing. Makes it much easier. There are long springs behind the thermostats.

Jason Micallef

Seaman Apprentice
You may be looking in the wrong direction. An overheat warning horn is a constant beep. An intermittent beep is one of the two audible warnings for the VRO oiling system. One for the pump and the other for the pump's oil tank. Any chance that oil tank is still plugged in to the engine's wire harness? A rythymic beep (on second on, one second off is the pump warning.) A beep every 20 seconds is an oil tank warning. Your beep sequence may vary somewhat, based on year, so check your owner's manual or factory service manual. You may still have a cooling issue, aside from the intermittent beeping problem.
I will look for the wire running down to the tank to see if its connected. Is there a way to disconnect the oil pump or will it always run because it is tied into the fuel pump? As far as beeps its ...one second on ...one second off ....continiously, until turned off.

Jason Micallef

Seaman Apprentice
I agree with emdsapmgr. Overheat is constant beep. Sounds like fuel / oil problem.

As for the thermostats: On my 93 115 hp there is a bulb intake over the top of the thermostats. If you remove the bulb cover. You can replace the stats without removing the cowling. I'm told on older models there is no bulb. Maybe yours doesn't not. If so, should be easier.

Tip: Install the thermostat housings/gaskets together with adhesive before installing. Makes it much easier. There are long springs behind the thermostats.
There is a large bulb intake about 8 inches across and 11 inches long with 12 small bolts attaching it. Is there a main seal for that if I take it off ....to be replaced?

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
sounds like you are describing the exhaust cover, if you remove it you will see the exhaust ports, there is a gasket for it

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You will have to remove the outer cover first.------Then there is a hidden bolt to remove the inner exhaust cover.---You will need 2 different gaskets.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Your warning horn sequence would be a fuel pump warning. You can run the existing VRO pump without using the oiling side if you premix your fuel/oil in the gas tank. When you do that, you need to plug the oiling hose line at the pump and disconnect the wires to the VRO since it's disabled. Also disconnect the wires to the oil tank.

Last edited:

Jason Micallef

Seaman Apprentice
You will have to remove the outer cover first.------Then there is a hidden bolt to remove the inner exhaust cover.---You will need 2 different gaskets.

Its a large black cover , right over the thermostats housing. It has the water tube the pees out the back for cooling. Is that an exhaust cover, or the water passage a cover? If I remove that it will be very easy to replace the thermostats. -J

Jason Micallef

Seaman Apprentice
Your warning horn sequence would be a fuel pump warning. You can run the existing VRO pump without using the oiling side if you premix your fuel/oil in the gas tank. When you do that, you need to plug the oiling hose line at the pump and disconnect the wires to the VRO since it's disabled. Also disconnect the wires to the oil tank.
ok thanks I will check it over. -J

Jason Micallef

Seaman Apprentice

Ok thanks I will check it over. -J

Jason Micallef

Seaman Apprentice

I have been looking at my service manual...it shows the inner and out exhaust panel and their gaskets. The black round bellied plate is outside of those, with a water tube coming out of it fed from the impellor. Whats in there? My service manual does not show it in any diagram. Thanks -J

Bosunsmate

Admiral
I have been looking at my service manual...it shows the inner and out exhaust panel and their gaskets. The black round bellied plate is outside of those, with a water tube coming out of it fed from the impellor. Whats in there? My service manual does not show it in any diagram. Thanks -J

just checking you dont mean the telltale pipe

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
To the best of my knowledge, there wasn't a 115 hp in 1988. What service manual are you using? What is your model number?