Evinrude Rectifier/Regulator

Cape17

Recruit
I am new to this forum and also boat maintenance. I own a 1985 Evinrude 120hp. I think they call it a looper. It is a 4 cyl. My tach does not work, and I made sure it had power going to it with switch on, and it does. I also seem to have to recharge my batteries more oftem than my buddy, usually after two trips and its nearly dead, and wont start my motor. I heard this is the rectifier that is bad. Where is the darn thing located on this motor, please help.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Rectifier/Regulator

Its a water cooled reg/rec just aft of the crank partially under the flywheel. <br /><br />Good luck!

Cape17

Recruit

What does it look like. I pulled the plastic plate off of the top of the motor, the one with one screw. and there was another with three screws in it under that one. It is the gel looking think with about 100 wirres coming out of it.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi ya' Cape.<br /><br />Believe ya' found it. If you are not familiar with the removal and replacement, you might oughta get a service manual. Tell ya' all sorts of neat stuff like how not to screw up yer engine. Really, the process is easy but a good service manual will take you through it step by step. Good Luck.