5 hp johnson 1952 carb parts

alcan

Commander
Re: 5 hp johnson 1952 carb parts

Hi Icke<br /> Didn't I mail you a copy of the parts catolog for this motor? Did you recive it? Why do you think there are missing carb parts? Did you ever find an owners manual? As outboards go these models are are pretty basic and plentiful. I have quite a bit of expirence with them and can answer most questions. During the production of these models (tn td etc)there were several changes upgrades. Some parts will inter change some won't.

D Burnett

Recruit

1950 5 HP Johnson Model TN-27 Carb troubles?--or too much air getting in the side plate?

Doug here--I am new--first message--and I am probably doing something wrong. Not sure if I can even put my first name, so here goes:

I have this engine and it appears to be in mint condition--bought from a guy who had it in his den for over 50 years.

I rebuilt the mag plate--new coils, new points, condenser, plugs, wires.
I also bought a carb gasket kit, hand made a new float from a fishing cork as the original was rotted. Cranked up and ran perfect for over an hour. Idled good, mid-range good, wide-open good. cooling good.

After running great for over an hour, it set up in a garage for two weeks. Now hard to start and will only start at 3/4 throttle setting and then only run for 30-45 seconds, then quits as though running out of gas or "too much gas". priming it as it starts shutting down only causes instant shut-down. It almost will not idle below half throttle setting, and then shortly and quits.

Not sure what is wrong and don't have another carbuerator to try. It is sure pretty and decals all look very new--paint near perfect, even on prop. I want to keep this thing as it is similar to a "model TD" which was my first outboard when I was a kid.

Any idea what has happend. The pistons appear to be brand new--no gaulding on cylinders (Pulled head when I first got it--also pulled side plate where carb is mounted). It is a "side-mounted" carbuerator with "primer" on top of engine which is also used to set high-speed carb adjustment.

Doug

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

1950 5 HP Johnson Model TN-27 Carb troubles?--or too much air getting in the side plate?

Doug here--I am new--first message--and I am probably doing something wrong. Not sure if I can even put my first name, so here goes:

I have this engine and it appears to be in mint condition--bought from a guy who had it in his den for over 50 years.

I rebuilt the mag plate--new coils, new points, condenser, plugs, wires.
I also bought a carb gasket kit, hand made a new float from a fishing cork as the original was rotted. Cranked up and ran perfect for over an hour. Idled good, mid-range good, wide-open good. cooling good.

After running great for over an hour, it set up in a garage for two weeks. Now hard to start and will only start at 3/4 throttle setting and then only run for 30-45 seconds, then quits as though running out of gas or "too much gas". priming it as it starts shutting down only causes instant shut-down. It almost will not idle below half throttle setting, and then shortly and quits.

Not sure what is wrong and don't have another carbuerator to try. It is sure pretty and decals all look very new--paint near perfect, even on prop. I want to keep this thing as it is similar to a "model TD" which was my first outboard when I was a kid.

Any idea what has happend. The pistons appear to be brand new--no gaulding on cylinders (Pulled head when I first got it--also pulled side plate where carb is mounted). It is a "side-mounted" carbuerator with "primer" on top of engine which is also used to set high-speed carb adjustment.

Doug

Sounds like the carb clogged up again. Probably with pieces of cork, if you didn't seal the float up like the original was. You can take it apart and clean it again, and pay particular attention to the high speed jet. You didn't mention new fuel lines; I'd replace those too, since they rot from the inside and clog the carb.

jbknows

Cadet

F_r, By chance, how do you modify this float. I bought the same one.

Thanks in advance
JRB

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, I've put them in a number of different carburetor types and each case is different. I'd first try just sanding the dome off the top and drill the 3/32" hole all the way through. Obviously, you don't want to take too much off, because you can't put it back on. The goal is to have it carry the weight of the needle and float with the top a bit above the surface. If is submerges completely, it no longer is a "floating object" and will not work according to the law of physics that says a floating object is buoyed up by the weight of liquid that it displaces.