Johnson fast strike 150 several issues

jonja51

Cadet
I bought a ranger bass boat used and the first time I used it ideals fine but when I engaged it bogs down and cuts off. I was able to run it about 100 yards then cuts off again. On and on same thing happens. Question I have is the primer bulb supposed to be flat when running? I mix the oil and gas so it could be off slightly in ratio. The battery was not charging and I had to put jumper cables to the other battery. When I start it the alarm goes off and I don't know if it's the low battery or if it's something other reason the alarm is coming on? Help please.

baley

Cadet
primer bulb should not be flat when running sounds like the tank isn't venting properly or the fuel line is clogged on the tank side fuel line to the primer bulb, can't answer the alarm, could be over heating, or something else.

baley

Cadet
could be the primer ball is bad and flattening out not letting fuel get to the motor, the primer should be fairly stiff when squeezing it if it is soft it is no good. are there dry rot cracks in it?

baley

Cadet
I would start by replacing it and see what that does, they are inexpensive, I replace mine every few years whether they need it or not, then move on to why it is not venting. it could be an in-line fuel filter from the tank or pinched line.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Open the gas cap on the built-in tank, for a test. If the primer bulb springs back, the fuel tank vent is clogged. If not, something else is wrong. My neighbor had exactly the same issue last weekend. We checked the tank vent and the Antisiphon valve. Both were fine. It turned out to b the primer bulb itself.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
His primer bulb was pretty soft, likely from the sun. However, I suspect the first check valve was bad, although I did not do an autopsy on it.

jonja51

Cadet
I took it out today and I'm going to have to replace the middle battery because it won't charge. When I try to give it gas so it planes out the alarm sounds and it bogs down and seems to slip out of gear and revs up. Primer bulb didn't flatten out today.

jonja51

Cadet
Replaced the thermostats and that is what fixed the overheating alarm. Pass it on.

does it still fell like it slips out of gear when you open it up. If so make a mark on the prop and the nut with water proof marker (paint) then take the boat for a quick run, If the marks are no longer in line then you have a spun prop

jonja51

Cadet
Yes it does seem to still slip out of gear. How do you fix it if it's a spun prop? Does the prop have to be replaced or the rod?

between the shaft and the blades of the prop is a rubber bushing that's designed to fail if it gets hit or tied up in weeds etc. Sometimes they don't fail fully and will melt the rubber a bit then they slip under high power. The bushing can be replaced by a shop that does props but value for money depends on the condition of the prop. If the prop is all beat up then it might be better to replace than to have it repaired. Still better to test the prop to make sure it is a spun prop (most people carry a spare prop on the boat especially if they fish in weed's or run shallow)