grease and water shooting out the prop

Rob31

Seaman Apprentice
I was informed that this will happen when your motor sets for a while. I need to know do I run the motor until it stops and how long does this will it take.<br />I have a 1973 evinrude 55hp.

D

DJ

Re: grease and water shooting out the prop

Rob,<br /><br />Tell us a little more about what kind of engine and what you're trying to determine.

Rob31

Seaman Apprentice

Its a 1973 evinrude 55hp. I am getting it ready for some for some great fishing. When I started it up black grease mixed with water was shooting out of the prop. I want to know where is it coming from and how do I cure it.

D

DJ

Rob,<br /><br />I don't know how long you've had this engine.<br /><br />If it was "fogged" before laying it up, the gunk coming out is just the remnants of the fogging oil. It will clear itself up.<br /><br />You're always going to get some crud out of a 2-stroke exhaust.<br /><br />Check the fluid in the lower unit first. Make sure it's full with no water in it. Make sure you replace the fill/drain plug seals!

Rob31

Seaman Apprentice

I have had the motor for 1 year. Ihad the carbs rebuilt and a compression test done. I checked the lower units grease and it was full and free of water. I realy dont know alot about boat motors, and it kind of worried me.

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would say that it is natural for a 2 stroke. The exhaust is through the prop and water is used for cooling in the exhaust housing of the lower unit. The exhaust contains leftover unburned oil and therefore black oil sludge and water out the prop exhaust.<br /><br />If you ever remove the lower unit you will find the inside of the exhaust housing with alot of sludge on the walls. It will also seep out of seep drain holes on the sides of the lower unit.<br /><br />Probably no big deal.