1987 evinrude tilt and trim???

racso

Seaman
so this is a kind of old motor has no trim and tilt to rise the motor to get to those areas where the big mouth are ... my question is can this motor be adapted to it ,,, is there an adapter to make it go up and down with a simple push of a bottom ...if so can you tell me where I can find one at a dissent price.. thaks

gonefishin485

Petty Officer 2nd Class
there use to be an after market bolt on that had two hydraulic cylinders and a sort of bat wing that bolted to the outside of the transom clamp with an external mounted pump, but i havent seen one around in years. if you could find one on ebay you could go that route. also what ive done in the past was replace the transom bracket and tilt mechanism from a non power tilt motor to a newer one with power tilt. if you have a marine scrap yard or used boat dealer you could check with them for one. lastly you could try a cmc power trim. its a plate that bolts to the boat transom and then the motor bolts to it, it has a trim cylinder built into it that will tilt and trim the motor.

strange that the sp88 from 1987 didn't have a trim option but the 90hp did. I know that the trim from a 120hp fitted a 70hp of about the same vintage. I had to get the tilt/trim piece that goes in-between the transom mounts, the relay box complete and the handle of a remote that had a tilt/trim button. I was lucky and found a blown 120hp motor for less than 200 including controller then sold the rest of the part I didn't need to get my money back.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
All models that ended in an 8 (48, 88, etc.) were marketed as "low cost" engines. They did not have VRO, did not have voltage regulators and did not have power trim. Many of the 88's that were sold had the trim installed at the dealer, since it was such a popular option. Nearly all of the power trim units from the in line 3 cyls to the V6 engines should fit. Plenty of used ones around.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a non running engine and harvested the trim. $100. They are very comparable from year to year and size to size. I think my 60 trim is the same that fits up to a 140. 1983 trim onto 1985 60hp. Try and snag the control trim switch because it's an obsolete part. Basically you swap the handle parts. Solenoids are basic automotive over the counter type so I mounted two in a little plastic box. For some odd reason OMC didn't think the weight of the 60 would make it draw as much current and did not use solenoids. All the current went thru the trim switch. Just saying because if you don't get the solenoids then don't sweat it. Simple as wiring two solenoids. The whole project was simple and you don't even need to remove the engine. One cylinder moves it the first few inches and then the other kicks in. Or something like that but they run weird so don't let it fool you into thinking something is wrong if your testing the cylinders off the engine. Do it.

All models that ended in an 8 (48, 88, etc.) were marketed as "low cost" engines. They did not have VRO, did not have voltage regulators and did not have power trim. Many of the 88's that were sold had the trim installed at the dealer, since it was such a popular option. Nearly all of the power trim units from the in line 3 cyls to the V6 engines should fit. Plenty of used ones around.

thanks its always nice to learn something.