1979 Evinrude 140HP tilt/trim application

hawkman222

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a 1983 70HP Johnson with manual tilt. I have a 1979 140 Evinrude parts motor that has a power tilt/trim unit and was wondering if this power tilt/trim will fit my 70 HP. According to the BRP parts website, the 70 HP - 140 HP motors for both years take the same tilt/trim unit but the part number for the 1979 models differs from the part number for 1983. Any thoughts before I tear into it? Thanks.

chrisjt

Seaman
Yes it will fit. I just finished a similar project. Use lots of PB Blaster or something like it. I have used power steering fluid as a lubricant and it worked well to loosen Pivot Pin and other parts. Good Luck!

hawkman222

Seaman Apprentice
There's a relay/control box that's part of the setup. Do you mount it inside the motor somewhere, or did you mount it and wire it externally away from the motor? On my 1983 90HP Evinrude it mounts directly to the rear exhaust cover. Is there a designated mounting location for the relay box?

The BRP website (shop2.evinrude.com) should show a location for that (IIRC). If there's no place for it inside the engine cowling it's no big deal to mount it somewhere in the rear of your boat.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The 79 trim system uses a larger control box that year. It just won't fit inside the cowling. It was originally designed to be mounted under the rear splashwell of the boat. (it's a 3-wire motor/system) That's why the control box has all the extra wiring with it. The box has it's own 20 amp fuse inside and connects direct to the battery just like the engine.

hawkman222

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the info.
I spent the last couple of days doing some research and found a rig called "WIRING HARNESS CONVERTS 3 WIRE TILT TRIM MOTOR TO 2 WIRE 50 AMP FUSE 2 RELAYS". It's on E- bay and offered by other online vendors. Looks like it might mount inside the motor cowling, and seems like a pretty good alternative to trying to reconstruct the original wiring diagram configuration from scratch. Does anyone have any experience with these kits?