1977 35h johnson stick style steering

WisconsinNugs

Seaman Apprentice
Instead of a steering whell i have a stick by my counsel forward right back left. the cable running to the motor is frozen or something can you grease it. i see no fittings. i need a new cable???

digimortal777

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 35h johnson stick style steering

thats either your gear shift or your throttle control<br /><br />your cabel is probabaly siezed , get a new one

NMplayer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No digimortal, he has stick steering. I don't know a lot about it but usually when steering goes bad, all you can do is replace the cable. Do not try to force it or you may end up ruining the control which will cause a lot of expense and headaches.

D

DJ

WisconsonNugs,<br /><br />Yes, you have stick steering.<br /><br />I don't like them, too confusing.<br /><br />Anyway, it is probably a Teleflex/Morse system and is of the rack and pinion type. You'll know as soon as you get it out.<br /><br />The cable is either frozen internally or most likely at the motor end. Once frozen they are junk. You can buy new cables.

WisconsinNugs

Seaman Apprentice

so i have to buy a whole new steering system, because the cable going to the stick says factory installed do not remove or replace(this is written on a red ribbon)

D

DJ

If that's what is says, then yes. The "head" assembly is not that much extra.<br /><br />You can find steering assemblies here on iboats.