Help 1996 40 johnson hard start

renlander

Recruit
1996 40 hp 2 stroke oil injected, hard to get running, once it is running runs great if leave sit for 2 weeks hard to get started again, there is a small red lever on the right hand side of the motor, that has a valve stem if I turn it straight up it bleeds off fuel/oil, and I hear a noise click, close lever motor starts then dies, open bleed off fuel start, etc. this is helpful because it starts up , still would like to know what this lever does and or is this my problem for hard starting

that my friend is the primer valve. Its a bit like a old school choke to help start the motor.
First make sure the red lever is inline with the solenoid body. Next use the primer bulb on the fuel line until it hard to pump (a bit like a firm handshake.....don't go all hulk on it), next turn key one click then press key in and count to 5 (you may hear the primer valve click). Lift the fast idle lever that's behind the shifter on the top of the box (black clip is above key to unlock it). turn key to start (don't press it in any more).......if the engine refuses to crank after 5 seconds then repeat.....if it fails to start after 2-3 trys consider that the engine needs a tune up or has a problem. Do not prime a warm engine unless it needs it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The primer is not a pump.---Push the key in while cranking not before cranking.

The primer is not a pump.---Push the key in while cranking not before cranking.

The bulb holds a small amount of fuel at pressure so if the bulb is firm that small amount will be sent to the carbs avoiding a flooded start or a over rev on start. Now I wouldn't have a problem with bumping the key while cranking but I wouldn't hold it in for to long while cranking.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Hold key in while cranking .-----Release key when engine fires.-------Push key in as needed to prevent stalling as motor warms up.

renlander

Recruit
Thanks, primer bulb is firm, I open valve, bleed off, close valve, then go to start, starts right away, I have a safety kill switch activated, so should I not require to hold the key in and then turn to start,

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Primer valve works when there is fuel pressure to it.----That pressure comes from the primer bulb ( bleeds off quickly ) or from the motor fuel pump when cranking.--------Key is pushed in while cranking to get reliable starting.