1976 Evinrude 55 no spark,

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've got this 55 hp on my pontoon and today it won't start. It has no spark from either coil. The black/yellow wire is not to ground when the ignition is turned on, There is AC voltage (10V) from each of the yellow wires coming off of the stator. I don't have a peak reading meter so I can only give the 10 volt ac reading I saw on my regular meter.

I have a couple of these motors so I am ready to swap out a CDI box from one of the other motors.

Can anyone think of something else to check or something I missed before I swap the box. Any help would be appreciated I have a bunch of kids wanting a pontoon outing and the Raystown fireworks show tomorrow evening. Thanks in advance all.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The other motors are a 1986 and 1991, so it is a different box. I ordered one and I will repost on Tuesday when it gets here. Thanks for the response.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It's not the box. I stopped and talked to my buddy at the boat shop, he rolled his eyes and said "Did you check the rectifier?" I hadn't so I am surrendering and taking it over to him to troubleshoot. I'll report back.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The rectifier is part of the battery chaging system and NOT part of the spark making system !

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I don''t know, thats why I'm asking.

He got out the CDI troubleshooting manual and one of the first things you test in a "no spark on either cylinder" situation is the rectifier. It says to unhook it and retest, if you then have spark replace the rectifier, At any rate it was not that, He got readings that he liked in all cases and decided that everything was going to the pack as it should, but nothing was coming out of the pack. Since I had replaced the pack he says replace the trigger. I came home to order the parts and I see no trigger for this motor. I can take it back to him, but I usually try to figure these thing out myself. He is my fishing friend and didn't charge me anything today. I don't mind paying him but he is really busy and I don't want ot wait or try to butt into the line. What do you say fellas, any help?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Rereading the CDI page I get the impression the trigger is in the pack. Did I maybe get another bad pack, or am I maybe killing them?

Would it make sense to try to reset the timer base air gap?

Thanks for taking the time to help guys, I really do appreciate it.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well, I will try again.----Trigger or sensor coils is the same thing.---A trigger is certainly not found inside the CD box.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove black / yellow stripe wire at the switch box and test for spark again.---If starter cranks slow you will not get any spark either,.----Then test all components with an ohmeter.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The black/yellow kill circuit has been tested and is not the issue. The engine cranking rpm is 250+ with a freshly charged brand new battery. The other electrical components were tested by a professional mechanic who said all readings are correct and that the trigger is not triggering. He told me to replace the trigger, but I can't seem to find the component to order, no part is labled "trigger".

I have soaked the nut down with some penetrating oil and I am bringing a socket home from work to get the nut off the flywheel. I have a puller so I will pull the flywheel and try to close the gap and see if that helps. If that doesn't work I will order a timer base and sensor.

Does that sound like the right plan or is there something different I should do first?

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The timer base or sensor coil assy part # is 581508. Check with a BRP Dlr.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I bought an OMC # 0385454 new old stock, from an ebay guy I've dealt with many times. It is on the way. Now I'm looking at the blow up wondering if I need the 0581508 too, if I do I'll go by the dealer and get one.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Timer base and sensor fixed it. The other part I wondered about is just the aluminum arm the timer base mounts to. Old girl is purring like a kitten, thanks for your help guys.