1977 Johnson Tell Tale question?

Highlife

Seaman Apprentice
Can you add a tell tale to this motor? Yes/No. I have heard that you can but haven't seen very good directions on this. I have heard you have to drill a hole and tap threads into the top of the #1 cylinder water jacket, then run the small hose down to the location you want it to come out. Question is, do you have to pull the head off ? or can you just drill with oil to help capture the metal filings. also does anyone have better directions / videos on how to do this. Thanks Highlife

amarcil77

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 73 85 hp. I did not pull the head when I put mine in. I used grease on the drill bit to collect the shavings. After several turns of the bit I cleaned the bit and applied more grease until I pushed thru the water jacket.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You might find a " boss " on the side of the # 1 cylinder water jacket.----You would drill there.--Earlier models had a pipe plug there.----Not sure what year they eliminated that feature on the blocks.

Highlife

Seaman Apprentice
I checked and i don't have the "boss" on the side of the cylinder, should i just drill the hole in the location of where the "boss" should be? Also, if i check the temp at each cylinder should they be close to the same temp? I did run the motor on muffs at idle and checked the temp with a point and shoot temp gun and cylinder 4 seemed to run hotter. Any thoughts? anyone?

Highlife

Seaman Apprentice
Double checked and i don't have the "boss" or water access like it shows in the picture from the link. Will a exhaust cover from a 1978 115hp work on a 1977 115hp?