1997 Evinrude Ocean Pro 175 How to adjust idle??

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1997 evinrude ocean pro 175 model E175EXECD. It runs fine on the hose but when I put it in the water it wants to die when I put it into gear. I need to adjust the idle up on it some and was wondering how to go about it. My last boat had a 50 with a single carb and a lot simpler set up so im not real sure where to start here. thanks in advance

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Idle speed is controlled by idle timing. Your idle timing should be 6* ATDC. It makes sense to test it. Wait for the Quickstart system to turn off, and the motor to slow itself sown, before testing idle timing.

Hooligan Diver

Seaman Apprentice
I have 3 Johnson/Evinrudes 1979-1991 25hp-235hp and they can be adjusted slightly by rotating the adjusting barrel on the throttle control cable at the motor.
Did it yesterday on my '87 70hp VRO(converted).

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
how long has it been since you rebuilt or "cleaned" the carbs??? if it has been a while or the motor sat for a year or so.... then Id do that before I started ADJUSTING stuff...................unless something has worn out, or a new part has been replaced......the link and sync probably is still good....bob

gwgautney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I cleaned carbs recently took it to a mechanic and he said I had low compression on it I checked it and everything was right where it needed to be except one cylinder would not hold it would bleed down once you stopped it it would stop at the same as the others