1974 Johnson 25hp wiring harness colors

The remote wiring harness has strange colors which do not match anything I am finding in the manuals. Maybe a good OMC experienced mechanic could tell me about color shifting in the wiring as the harness gets older. Also, the yellow wire going to the neutral safety switch goes in but has no wire coming out. There is a spade but no wire attached to it.<br /><br />The motor will run when hand cranked, but I would like to make use of the starter as cold morning starts destroy my enthusiasm in a short time. I want to put start and kill buttons on the motor but the wiring colors are not the same as in the manuals.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 1974 Johnson 25hp wiring harness colors

Do you have single lever control, key switch in control or dash panel in boat?<br /><br />Clymer shows, these wires from switch.<br />White, to starter solenoid.<br />Black 2 wires, to coils for kill wires.<br />purple, to electric choke.<br />purple/white, to + side of battery.<br />The neutral switck located on engine,ground the solenoid.<br /><br />What color wires do you have? My guess is remote harness for later model engine.

It has a white, two blacks a green? or perhaps a blue? and something that looks like perhaps yellow.<br /><br />Are you saying that the neutral safety switch has the solonoid grounded out when in gear and that is the normal situation?<br /><br />ON a start button I would install on the engine, would I jump from the red terminal on the solonoid to the push button and from there to the smaller near terminal of the solonoid?<br /><br />The kill button would go to ground and to where?<br /><br />Before I got the boat, it had a console hookup. When I got it, the console had been removed and the <br />wiring was handed to me separately. It is definitely for OMC and the plug fits fine. The wires had been cut loose from the switch and I am unable to make the switch pass continuity tests.<br /><br />That is why I want to just put start and stop buttons on the motor so I can be through with the mess.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The solenoid is ungrounded when in gear, grounded when in neutral, the ground is connected to the 2nd small termial on the solenoid. If you peel the insulation back on the remote harness about 6 inches you may be able to id the colors.<br />What are the letters on the back of the switch by the termials, and where is the choke switch? Is switch a push for choke, or a seperate button for choke. Have someone else look at the colors.

I have peeled back the outer cover for over two feet and the colors remain the same, dingy, uncertain junk. It was very wet inside the cover. The choke is a separate toggle and the rotation on the back of the switch goes from 3:00 in a clockwise order m,b,a,m. A purple jumper goes from the second m to the center spade terminal of the choke toggle switch.<br /><br />There is about six inches of bare stranded wire at the other terminal of the toggle switch and it appears to be discolored from resistance heat. From the size of the wire, I would guess that it is an extension of the green or blue wire that is in the harness. This green or blue wire is bare as it gets close to the motor end of the harness and it appears to have overheated there too.<br /><br />I have three Johnson 25hp and 1 Evinrude 25hp and all of these are in that year range. Three are electric start and one is manual start.<br /><br />I have Seloc Vol II both here and at my place at the lake. Additionally I have Intertech Vol 1.<br /><br />I have just ordered the Clymer manuals for 2 to 40 for that year range and for larger engines as I have a larger one on my pontoon boat.<br /><br />Maybe as my library grows, my experience will also grow and I will be able to ask questions the right way anyway.<br /><br />Thanks!

clanton

Rear Admiral

If you connect the harness to engine with hot battery connected, switch disconnected. You should fine the hot wire on the switch end with a test light. when you locate this wire mark it with what ever is handy. Then you will have id,<br /><br /> Hot wire from battery, which should be blue/white.<br /> You have id the 2 black wires, ignition.<br /> You have id the 1 white wire, which goes to starter solenoid.<br />Whats left?<br /><br />I will try to find switch tomorrow and look at termials and markings.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Have not found a switch for your engine yet. How many termials on your switch and how are they marked? You can e-mail me at clanton@atlantic,net, for a reminder, I may be out for a few days.