1970 60hp evinrude has no power under load.

dexter88

Cadet
I have a 1970 60hp evinrude that has no power under load. I have replace all the fuel lines and connectors, new fuel pump, new plugs, and rebuilt the 3 carbs. It will sometimes die at idle but not all the time. When I run it with the miffed everything seems to work fine till I put it in the water. During idle if I pull the lower plug wire there is only a slight change in idle not much. If I pull any of the other two it dies. If any one has any suggestions please help. Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove the flywheel.--Remove the distributor cap and stator.---Clean and set the points to 0.010"---Inspect the anti reversing spring.----Clean rotor and distributor cap.--Re-assemble and test.

dexter88

Cadet
So in this book I have for the motor it says I need a flywheel puller to remove the flywheel. Is this something that is required to take it off.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes a proper puller uses the 3 holes with a 5/16" fine thread to remove flywheel.

dexter88

Cadet
Ok I got my points and everything else all cleaned up. Set the points, they were actually touching when I took it apart. Started up on the muffs and noticed the idle had improved a lot. Going to the lake tomorrow I will let you know how it goes.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I hope you continued to follow the book and used a torque wrench to tighten the nut to 100-105 ft lbs. Guessing at it is a recipe for expensive damage.

dexter88

Cadet
Just took it out. There was a huge improvement. It still did not have the initial get up and go power but it would creep up to about 20-25 mph, hold there for a while and wanted to start bogging back down. I think I am going to replace points as well as cap and rotor. I just bought the boat and not sure when the last time those have been changed.