'99 Johnson 250 HP - Dhadley et al

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
I'm considering making an offer on a boat powered by dual 1999 J 250's. I have concerns regarding LU gear set quality as well as possible issue with upper main bearing head (losening). Is this year afflicted with these issues? I'd appreciate comments from the OMC knowledgeable ones as to whether I have the model and year right.<br /><br />Thamks for your help.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: '99 Johnson 250 HP - Dhadley et al

I may be able to help with the model and year, what are the serial nrs,<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The upper bearing bolt issue should have been correctedby then but it never hurts to look. Personally I would pop the flywheel and reglue the magnets anyway as you probably will be a long way from home in a rig like that. Once the flywheel is off you can inspect / change the bolts anyway. <br /><br />The gears are right in the questionable era. I would change them before they tear up the case. Keep in mind that not 100% of the gears failed but its not uncommon either.<br /><br />Sounds like a neat boat. What is it?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

It's a 26' Sea Ox W/A ... looks like a great fishing machine. Sounds like I ought to consider conditioning an offer based on replacing LU gear sets. Any idea of the cost? (I'm guessing around $700 per motor).

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Neat rig. Yes, that sounds like a good plan. We havent seen that many counter sets go bad but thats obviously understandable. <br /><br />Let us know how you make out!

Sand Bass

Seaman

Can someone please explain the "upper bearing bolt issue". I have a 1994 Evinrude 225. <br /><br />Thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Sand Bass, retainer cap screws holding the upper bearing head in place can losen on some late 90's V-6 motors (they weren't properly torqued and didn't have LockTite applied). They could come lose and the bearing head would rotate, quickly destroying the powerhead. The fix is to replace the screws, use LockTite and torque the screws.