1993 90 hp Evinrude after running fine, dies out and will not start back.

aquaholic one

Recruit
I have a 1972 Duo Roamer with a 1993 90hp Evinrude 2 stoke model (E90TLETS) motor which I take out on the lake often. But now this has happened twice, after running the boat for a while and turning off, The motor will not start back up. The starter is engaging but it will not turn over. Plenty out gas, primer bulb is tight , but it will not start. After about 15-20 attempts and 20 mins, it finally starts. After it starts, it runs fine like nothing happen. Had the motor checked out at beginning of the season and was told everything was fine. New plugs while installed.... Any suggestions to what might be wrong????

Bosunsmate

Admiral
take a spark tester out with you and an assistant. Might be a failing component, hard to diagnose until it doesnt want to start.
Test all cylinders when it doesnt want to start

aquaholic one

Recruit
Thanks, I will try a spark tester. Might be a little hard to do on the water. I've tried to get it to not start while out the water and it fired up every time after two hours of trying. It has only happen while on the water. But thanks for the quick reply.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If the starter is engaging but not turning over the motor then take these steps.----------Check battery.---Check battery cables.---Check starter motor brushes .

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Follow Bosun's advice. Test the spark on each plugwire. Weak ignition components tend to fail, once the engine warms up to normal operating temps. So when you check spark, do it when the engine is adequately warmed up or you may get a false reading.