79 evinrude 85hp crossflow, running bad

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do a carefull inspection of the ring grooves.-------With the rings so close to the top there is not a lot of strength to keep ring grooves from getting damaged.----That is why ring groove was moved down.------Putting new rings in a worn out groove makes no sense.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Do a carefull inspection of the ring grooves.-------With the rings so close to the top there is not a lot of strength to keep ring grooves from getting damaged.----That is why ring groove was moved down.------Putting new rings in a worn out groove makes no sense.
they were not worn at all, just full of carbon, I cleaned them in the parts washer at work and they were shiny again, I didn't get the faces shiny. does that matter, should I put them in the cooker? I thought about cooking the case but don't want to remove the orange coating, a coworker told me that was good stuff

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
yay, my parts came today, but my power head is at work, so I guess I need to bring it home, my vacation starts tomorrow after work and I want to go boatin

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
major setback, the seal shaft at the base of the crank was broke:blue:, cant get a new crank so im trying to fix it, then install a repair sleeve so it wont leak oil, wont be here till tomorrow morning then hopefully back on track:pray2:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
the sleeve worked great, and the crankcase is back together now. just need to bolt on the heads, stator, flywheel, intake, carbs and set it back in place, but first this looks like a good opertunity to replace the thermostats:D

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
powerhead is back on the mounts, just need to bolt it down and finish connecting the wires:D

Bosunsmate

Admiral
looking sounding good,, what is compression like?
just checking you have muffs on as the waterlevel looks really low in that video

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
havn't checked compression, had the muffs on, I use the tank as a muffler and it keeps from spraying oil on the garage door. getting ready to go to the river to start the break in, 3k for 1 hour then 4k for 1 hour, then it says not to run at wot for more than a couple minutes at a time for 10 hours. at first it would only run on 2 cylinders the side that had the bad piston, then I found a bad connection at the powerpack to the coils, now they all fire