225 HP Johnson - Doesn't idle properly

bassndude

Cadet
I have a 1998 Johnson (carb) 225 HP outboard that is stalling out at idle.<br /><br />The start was after the stator was changed when my water in take was clogged and overheated the engine. Prior to this, the motor started first time everytime, cranked over quickly, and would idle in neutral forever. During the overheating, it must have loosened out some bolts and blew my stator. Got it fixed and since then the motor takes longer to start, idles rougher, and will randomly cutout while idling or when engaged and run at low RPM's.<br /><br />It seems to cough, if I rev the engine at 1600 RPM (only way to keep it going) it will drop to about 800 RPM and if it doesn't stall it will go back to 1600 RPM after its' mis-fire. Idle @ 600 RPM. Too Low? How do i adjust it?<br /><br />Also sometimes while trying to get going from idle it will hesitate and then stall.<br /><br />I was told i had water in my gas. I had a water separator installed and at end of last year I checked the filter - no water.<br /><br />I was also told that I wan't getting gas - doesn't seem to be a problem though. I was told to take out that check vlv on top of the fuel pump on the gas tank - didn't help.<br /><br />Once motor gets going in fwd - it runs great doesn't cutout, doesn't hesitate, doesn't cough.<br /><br />I'm running a 13.5" x 24" 4 blade Renegade at WOT gets 78mph (speedo) and 5800 RPM. Speed and RPM's have not been affected by problem. Just low RPM, idle and starting.<br /><br />One other thing, in my driveway, with the water muffs on it still starts poorly but doesn't cut out as often if at all... Maybe there is some extra load onthe motor while sitting in the lake and having to draw water in.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 225 HP Johnson - Doesn't idle properly

Sounds like it might be time for a compression check. The overheat may have caused some internal changes. <br /><br />If that checks out all good and well, then perhaps while your mechanic was in there changing out the electrical parts he happened to get something miss-adjusted.

bassndude

Cadet

Hey Blaze,<br />Thanks for the tip, right about now I am willing to try anything.<br /><br />If I lost compression though, wouldn't I lose top end speed from a loss of HP?<br /><br />Carbs?<br />Carbon buildup?<br />SOS...

bassndude

Cadet

Any help would be much appreciated... Anyone out there with anything that could help or any suggestions would be great.<br /><br />SOS :confused:

Old Coasty

Cadet

bassndude, I have a 91 150 Johnson doing the same thing. I over heated it. It idles rough and stalls when I put it in gear but runs ok if I can get it going without stalling first. Have you figured out the problem. I put a post in today but haven't had any responses yet.<br />Old Coasty