3hp Evinrude Lightwin - dies after 5mins running

markbutt

Recruit
I have a 3hp Evinrude Lightwin (year? '86??) bought second-hand but recently serviced. Starts easily but dies, gradually, after 5-10 mins UNLESS I pump the fuel-line bulb. Starts again easily once the bulb is pumped. The fuel-line, ball-valve filter and tank vent are OK. I know the compression is low, I wonder if this is the problem or could it be the fuel pump - so why didn't it show up at the time of servicing? I am grateful for any advice, Mark

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3hp Evinrude Lightwin - dies after 5mins running

Hmmm. A 'Rude 3hp with fuel pump and remote tank.<br /><br />Model number, so we can establish the year would help us a lot.<br /><br />I don't think your carb bowl would hold enough fuel for 5 or 10 minutes. The pump must be pumping at least some fuel, but it sounds as though it is working against too much resistance in the fuel supply. You may have some restriction in the fuel pickup in the tank or a partially blocked anti-siphon valve in the connector.<br /><br />I don't doubt you when you say that the line and primer bulb are okay, but how did you verify this?<br /><br />There may be a filter screen on the pump intake that could be partially gummed.<br /><br />If you can borrow a tank, line and primer bulb from a working engine and try that out it might help you isolate a problem, or prove that yours are not causing the trouble.<br /><br />Let us know what you find. :)

lawnboy54

Cadet

yep jb close your engine is pulling a vacume on the tank replace or just losin the cap on gas tank and the problem will be solved how i know it happened to me with a 10 hp and new tank just give tank some ait and i think you;ll be fine :D

markbutt

Recruit

Thanks; I tried these suggestions without effect so I took it in to the repair shop; there was a faulty valve in the fuel pump. All working fine now, thank you.<br /><br />Incidentally serial # is 3807A C560418