evinrude voltage regulator

blue.monkey

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br />I have a 1989 evinrude 150 (E150TXCEM), The voltage regulator blew and I lost the charging sytem, as well as the tach signal at the grey wire. I could see the regulator was blown because it was the clear type. (35 AMP) I could see the large burn marks on the circuit board. My parts guy in town forgot to order a new one as requested. So I bought a "preowned" one he had on the shelf, (summer is short). I put it in, the charging system still doesn't work. The tach now works though. Now with the ignition off, I have 12.5 dc volts at the stator yellow leads. Is this suppose to happen? Or is there a diode in the regulator to stop the DC current from backfeeding to the stator? Also I now noticed a constant draw on the battery when everything is off. Could this be related?? <br />Used parts always leave me guessing. And the parts guessing game can get real expensive. <br />Thanks for any advice you can give me.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: evinrude voltage regulator

It sounds like the diodes are shorted and allowing voltage to heat up the stator under the flywheel. Do not use it.<br /><br />Most regulator problems are caused by loose, corroded or intermittent connections between the regulator and the battery. Wing nuts on the batteries are the biggest culprit since most folks just twist them finger tight and the cable starts moving around. OMC service manuals, owners manuals, and factory schools stress the use of lockwashers and hex nuts, never wing nuts.

petryshyn

Commander

Ditto on Seahorse<br /><br />get that reg/rec out of there before you burn the stator(if you haven't already)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The guys are right. Get it changed before the wiring catches on fire. I've seen it catch on fire after a week on the trailer. <br /><br />Absolutely get rid of the wing nuts as suggested and also think about venting the block to help prevent a repeat failure.<br /><br />Good luck!

blue.monkey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice,<br />I took the boat to the marina to have it fixed, and talked to the mechanic there about disconnecting the hot lead from the reg/rect to prevent damage. I will definitely look at venting the block, I'll search the web to see about instructions, I saw the OMC part # for the fitting on this board in the past. Maybe the OMC kit will have a instruction sheet on exactly where to drill and tap.<br /><br />thanks,<br />Blue monkey