Jammed Tilt & Trim

Augustine

Recruit
I have a 18' by 6' dory powered by a huge 70hp Evinrude - not sure of exact age, suspect circa 1987.<br />The Tilt & Trim is jammed in position about half-way up, so that the prop is just below the surface. It hasn't worked since I bought the boat, which hasn't bothered me since I keep the boat in quiet inland waters and never have to lift it. The problem is that I lent it to someone who must have scraped the bottom, which has resulted in the outboard being raised (and getting worse). The motor seems totally dead and the wiring is in bad condition.<br />OK, I intend to take it to the boatyard for a complete overhaul, but is there any way to manually lower the engine so that I can take it there safely?<br />many thanks

troyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Jammed Tilt & Trim

Examine the t-n-t motor, you should see amanual release screw, usually at the bottom, where the motor attaches to the pump assembly, turn this screw, it will alleviate the pressure and lower the motor (at least that's how you do it on my boat, although it is not an Evinrude) good luck!

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

You only have to turn screw about a half turn...keep hands free as the motor will drop quickly. You may want to retighten screw when down to prevent kick-up when you hit reverse. ;)

troyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Mumblerone, your signature line is dead on :)