Spun Prop?

Liam

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had a great day yesterday on Long Island Sound. Didn't catch much but had a lot of fun. I had just put my boat in for the year that morning. Everything went very well - the motor started easily, plenty of power and great weather.<br /><br />On the way back in, I was hailed by a sailboat that was stuck on the reef. I went by to try help but I do not know the reef well enough and therefor advised the guy to call Seatow!<br /><br />On the way back in it was very choppy (2-3ft). I decided to increase speed to get the bow up in the air. That's when I noticed the engine rev up and the speed not increase. I decreased rpm's and everything was fine. I did not hit anything (bottom or reef) while out.<br /><br />Later, I tried the higher rpm's in calmer waters and the same happened. I have a 1984(?) Johnson 60HP outboard. The prop is marked 11 3/4 X 17 and it pushes a 16ft MFG.<br /><br />A couple of questions: Is the prop spun? Can I repair/replace myself? Is this the correct prop?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for your help and time.<br /><br />Liam

Saperry

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Spun Prop?

The clutch or hub in the prop is slipping. You sould be able to remove the prop and have the hub replaced or replace it yourself. I think some of them may press in but the only one I ever changed was on a suzuki 65 hp. It just slipped inside the hub on the prop and over the output shaft on the motor. Real simple to fix and less than $20.00.

Liam

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info. I have been told sometimes you must replace the entire prop. Is that the case with this motor?

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

You got a spun hub. You can have the old one pressed out and replaced for about $40. Merc makes a composite two piece hub for their props, but I do not know if one is available for your prop.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Liam<br />I seen a lot of Johnson with spun hubs but never saw one you can get out or put in with out a press. As far as the right pitch I do not know. Did motor run in proper RPM range at full Throttle before, if it did then you have the right prop.