1987 110 johnson evinrude lower unit removal.....stuck....PLEASE help

hello, i just bougth a pontoon boat with a 1987 johnson 110 vro outboard. J110TLCUR this is the model number. when i bought it it ran perfect, took it home . i noticed the pee hole werent peeing. so i want to replace the water pump impeller etc... problem is, i cant remove the lower unit. my outboard has the pin type connector for the shift shaft. and YES, i already released this pin. i have removed all 7 bolts. before i disconnected the pin, i placed the gear in forward. i have pushed the shaft toward the powerhead. it may have dropped 1/8 th of an inch , if that. i can wiggle it left to right but i cant get it to fall. i have beat it and pulled on it to no avail. i called a local boat repair and he said all he can think of would be to cut the shaft then remove the cut ends. then replace the shaft . basically he said im looking at 1200 .00 plus. he said the gears are rusted in place.... i just dont believe this. the motor runs like a champ. it shifts fine. prop spins perfectly. if this was rusted i would think this would be frozen in place am i correct ? what can i do to get it free ? notice, the previous owner really wrecked on this casing see the crack starting, i am scared to beat or even pry on it in this area because of this crack.......can anyone please help!!!!!!

Last edited:

dazk14

Ensign
Well....The previous owner wrecked that casting trying to pry apart a stuck lower unit..It's the only way those break.

People will chime in with penetrating oil and wedges, upside down and time that can be effective and certainly worth the effort if you have the time.

The driveshaft is stuck in the powerhead/crank splines.

You're likely looking at cutting the driveshaft to get it apart.

Then tap the upper portion cut end 1/4"-20 grade 8 bolt and using a slide hammer to extract it from the powerhead. occasionally 5/16"-18 . You need GOOD bits. Solid cobalt is good.

Don't listen to the inexperienced alarmists that say you can't use a slide hammer....

You can find a good used lower for that for about $300.

i dont have the money for another out board, the boat is useless to me. theres no other way? i mean, if i got to replace the lower unit anyway, can i take a mall to the fins?

Last edited:

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would double check you have all the bolts out, do a search you will find that hanging it upside down from the lower unit and spraying oil onto the shaft may free it up. along with the wood wedges. Hitting the fins or anywhere on the unit it not a good idea the aluminium is thin and brittle and will crack. good luck

wayneo99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
you said you released this pin.... you need to remove it from the motor once its loose. did you do that or just unscrew it in place?

BonairII

Commander
buy a used lower unit(ebay, craigslist, etc). Cheaper and less hassle than messing with your current lower unit.

sorry for not being clear. yes, this motor has the pin look like a cotter pin that you have to remove . then , you push this assembly toward the other side of motor. then I pushed the shift shaft towards the power head. I hve checked few more times to see if I missed any bolts and I see none.

tlocus73

Seaman
Hi, just recently dropped mine (1989 Johnson 100) to replace water pump. After removing all the bolts and turning flywheel clockwise a bit, gently tapping around with a rubber mallet then rocking the lower unit fore and aft it finally dropped down(not sure the order I did that...).
Btw, is the 1/8" gap you have even all the way around?

well im sad to say we got it off only after breaking one of the fins off of the lower unit, and breaking a piece of casing off the front of the mid section. ill post pics of it all tomorrow . right now im just sick in my stomach. that motor ran awesomely I mean like a race horse. OK SO NOW WHAT DO I DO NEXT? I STILL HAVE TO GET THAT DARN SHAFT OUT OF THE HEAD. CAN I USE THE LOWER UNIT WITHOUT THE FIN ? IF NOT CAN I USE JB WELD OR GET SOMEONE TO WELD THIS PIECE BACK ONTO THE MID SECTION ? I M NOT SURE WHAT TO DO NEXT...... MY NEIGHBOR HAS A JOHNSON THE SAME YEAR BUT HIS IS A LONG SHAFT. I WAS WONDERING IF I COULD GET HIS APART THAT IS, TO PULL MY POWER HEAD AND USE HIS MIDSECTION, SHAFT , AND LOWER UNIT. HE SAID HE THOUGHT THE PWER HEAD WAS BAD ON HIS . ITS BEEN SITTING FOR A FEW YEARS. I REALLY COULD USE SOME ADICE . OBVIOUSLY, I MADE A POOR PURCHASE DECISION ON GETTING THIS BOAT.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm a little confused... How did you get the lower unit off if the drive shaft is still stuck in the powerhead? Did you cut the driveshaft in half?

No Title

yes, i felt i had too. we were already breaking stuff. it made me sick, but i tried everything else except turning it upside down and i dont feel like blowing my back out trying to flip a 110 outboard. so not sure what my next course of action is.

ok. so again, what should i do next? i have access to another johnson same yr but his is a 25"shaft. i believe mine is a 20" . can i use his mid and lower ? his lower is bad i think. my insides are good on my lower its just my casings that are bad. i was told by the welder he thought he could weld these places to fix my lower and mid but then there is the issue of finding a shaft. i dont know what to do. my engine ran perfectly.until this . i was told other yrs and model number lowers would fit my motor how do i know which ones will fit.... im at a loss... should i part this out if so whats it worth . my tilt and everyting was perfect.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
According to the lower unit interchange chart in the Top secret file, 1978-1991 V4 crossflow lower units interchange. You shouldn't have much trouble finding one considering the 13 year range and the fact that they were very popular motors. If the motor runs as good as you say, I'd definitely fix it, that way you'll know what you have when it's done.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I'd suggest getting that piece of drive shaft out of the crank 1st, then you will know for sure if it is worth saving. As I found after removing mine, check the splines inside the crank that they are not wiped out.

If the crank checks out good then by all means replace the whole lower end. If you watch craigslist I bet you can find a nice one with a blown powerhead, cheap.